LAHAINA - The Lahainaluna High School Foundation awarded more than $111,000 in student scholarships at an awards presentation on May 9 at Royal Lahaina Resort.
At the awards program, LHSF Executive Director Matthew Erickson presented the $1,000 endowed Lahainaluna High School Foundation Scholarship to Aida Taylan and the $1,000 endowed LHSF Academy of Hospitality & Tourism Scholarship to Takavaha Taufa.
Added this year were the Territorial Savings Bank, Maui Jazz Festival and Front Street Scholarships. The Territorial Savings Bank Scholarship of $750 was awarded to Alec Wagner and the Maui Jazz Festival Scholarship of $1000 to Janeen Higuchi. The Front Street Scholarship, made possible through an anonymous donation, allows the recipient, Jeremy Briones DeGracia, up to $35,000 each year for four years.
Arthur Tabanao (left) and Thomas Kunishige (right) presented West Maui Community Federal Credit Union scholarships to recent Lahainaluna High School graduates, Kailani Amine (from left), Kiara Galicinao, Janeen Higuchi, McNiel Castillo Magdaoang and Erin Sana.
JON SHIGAKI photo
Returning scholarships were awarded to the following students:
* Maureen Setsuko Ariyoshi Memorial Scholarship of $1,000 to Loa Uehara
* Bank of Hawaii of $1,000 to Mikah Franz
* Boss Frog's Dive & Surf Scholarship of $1,000 to Elliott Smith
* Breana Polynesian Clothing & Gifts Scholarship of $500 to Loa Uehara
* LHS Class of 1956 of $1,000 to Arik Dutcher
* Ilocandia Scholarship of $500 to Marcus Badua
* Fumio & Kiku Nishimoto Memorial Scholarship of $1,000 to Amanda Murphy
* RVN Restaurant Scholarship of $500 to Ruchelle Cabida
* The Dr. Steven Strong Memorial Scholarship of $2,500 to Gleylynn Paige Casil
* Valley Isle Community Federal Credit Union of $500 to Michael-Bodean Bates
* West Maui Community Federal Credit Union scholarship of $1,000 each to Kailani Amine, Kiara Galicinao, McNiel Castillo Magdaong, Janeen Higuchi and Erin Sana
* West Maui Veterans' Club scholarships of $1,000 each to Tyler Okimoto and Sharon Hashimura
* Roy & Betty Sakamoto scholarships of $1,500 each to Leilani Santos Miranda and Lewilyn Gutierrez
* Makana Aloha Foundation scholarship of $5,000 to Joshua Gaastra and Emna Baccar
* 'Imi Na'Auao Scholarship of $500 to Jimlord Tagayuma
* Michael M. Nakano Scholarship of $1,000 to Jasmine Garde.
* West Side Friends for Higher Education Scholarships of $1,000 each to Kelcie-Marie Naleieha and Aleia Natividad
* Shigeru and Toyoko Ichiki Scholarship of $6,000 each to Cheyenne Baltonado, Elizabeth Lagbas, Jing Hua and An Hua
* Fred Izumi Legacy Scholarship of $2,000 to Ashley Magno
* Tadashi Sato Memorial Scholarship of $1,000 to Holland vanHemert
* The Lillian and Robert Wright Memorial Scholarship of $1,000 to Jinky Ramos Aguiran
* Alfredo Fred Sarian Agricultural Memorial Scholarship of $1,000 to Starlyne Abut.
* H & K Takenaga Legacy Scholarship of $1,500 to Kiana Yamat
* Central Pacific Bank scholarship of $1,000 to Jasmine Domingo
* Ka'anapali Land Management Corporation Scholarship of $1,000 to Kiara Galicinao
* Lahainaluna Boarders' Association scholarship of $1,000 to Kanoelani Dodd, a four-year boarder from Waikapu
* Leilani's on the Beach TS Restaurant Scholarship of $1,000 and Kimo's TS Restaurant Scholarship of $1,000 to Kailani Amine
* Hula Grill TS Restaurant Scholarship of $1,000 and Duke's Beach House TS Restaurant Scholarship of $1,000 to Annie Ruiz
The Okage Sama De teacher award was presented to Lahainaluna High School English teacher and class adviser Anne Goff. Additionally, faculty member Shannon Fields received the Kumagai Teacher scholarship of $1,000.
For information about the Lahainaluna High School Foundation scholarship program, contact Executive Director Matthew Erickson at 661-5332 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.