Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Vac Rental | E-Edition | Home RSS

State / In Brief

July 25, 2012
The Associated Press

Hilo elections office shut briefly for audit

HILO - With the primary election about two weeks away, Hilo's election office closed for a day for an audit.

West Hawaii Today reports the office was closed Monday for an audit of the county voter registration list - an action a state elections official called unprecedented and a county councilman called "fishy." The office was reopened Tuesday.

State Elections Office spokesman Rex Quidilla said that such a closure hasn't happened before.

County Clerk Jamae Kawauchi won't say what her office is looking for so soon before the Aug. 11 primary. She says the list is being looked at for accuracy.


Man cleared of murder faces conviction

HONOLULU - An Oahu man earlier acquitted of murdering his ex-girlfriend has been convicted of kidnapping her in a separate incident.

In November, a jury found Toi Nofoa not guilty in the shooting death of Royal Kaukani as she sat in her SUV in Ewa Beach two years ago.

The Honolulu Star-Advertiser reported that during the latest kidnapping trial, jurors weren't told Kaukani is dead until closing arguments Monday. Hours later, Nofoa was found guilty of abducting her at gunpoint at work in Ko Olina in 2008. Kaukani had twice filed temporary restraining order petitions against Nofoa in 2008.

Nofoa's attorney declined to comment after the verdict.


Shooting witness dies of a heart attack

KALAHEO, Kauai - Kauai police said a man is dead following a heart attack after witnessing another man shooting at neighbors and then committing suicide.

Bryant Hironaka suffered a heart attack and died after witnessing Saturday's shooting in Kalaheo.

Police said William Ray Seibert walked to a neighbor's home and fired multiple shots through the front door. He then turned the gun on himself and died of a single gunshot wound to the head.

The intended victims in the home were not injured. Hironaka was taken to Kauai Veterans Memorial Hospital and then flown to a Honolulu hospital, where he died Monday.

Police continue to investigate.


Traffic jam after man jumps onto freeway

HONOLULU - Police said a man jumped to his death from a Honolulu freeway bridge, snarling traffic on a busy highway and clogging nearby streets during afternoon rush-hour.

Eastbound lanes of the H-1 freeway were closed for four hours after the man in his 30s jumped from the McCully Street overpass Monday at about 3:30 p.m.

KHON-TV reported that police said the man was hit by a bus and dragged about 100 feet.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web