To have your class, workshop or presentation included in this free listing, email its title, instructor, location, dates, start/end times, cost and brief description to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the volume of submissions, items will be listed as close as possible to their start date; if a deadline to enroll is included, the event will be listed on the Sunday before deadline. High-res digital photos, depending on quality, are used if space permits. Submissions are subject to revision and rewriting, inclusion is not guaranteed and publication does not mean programs are endorsed by The Maui News.
* Art Classes, The Hui No'eau Visual Arts Center, 2841 Baldwin Ave., is offering the following classes. For details or to register, call 572-6560 or visit huinoeau.com:
** "Hours of Earrings Workshop" with Julie Matheis today from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Cost is $50 ($63 nonmember) plus supply and lab fee: $20.
** "Tiny Hands" with Jesse Stuart. Tuesdays through Oct. 2 from 9 to 11 a.m. Cost is $135 ($169 nonmember) plus supply fee: $25.
** "Figure Drawing" with Roger B. Stephens. Tuesdays through Sept. 18 from 6 to 9 p.m. Cost is $195 ($244 nonmember) plus model fee: $25.
** "Handbuilding and Wheel Throwing" for ages 10 - 14 with Katie Lutz. Wednesdays through Oct. 3 from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. Cost is $135 ($169 nonmember) plus supply fee: $30.
** "Claymazing! Handbuilding in Clay" for ages 5 - 9 with Katie Lutz. Thursdays through Oct. 4 from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. Cost is $135 ($169 nonmember) plus supply fee: $30.
** "Jewelry Construction" with J.B. Rea, Thursdays through Sept. 20 from 9 a.m. to noon. Cost is $195 ($244 nonmember).
** "Seeing the Ordinary in the Extraordinary Photography Workshop" with Denny Tillman. Saturday and Aug. 19 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Cost is $125 ($156 nonmember).
* Watercolor/Drawing Art Classes. Kihei after school fall quarter, taught by Barbara Steinberg at Kihei Community Center. Ages 6-12. Wednesdays through Sept. 9, from 3 to 5 p.m. Cost is $95 or $10 weekly. Register at 879-0025 or visit www.barbarassteinbergart.com.
* "The Essence of Filmmaking" (Filmmaking 101), with Jonathan Yudis. Learn about the nuts and bolts of the filmmaking process from concept to completion. On day two, course participants will put their education to work and collaborate on the creation of a short video. Course 345S12. Aug. 24 and 25. Cost is $199. Register now, 984-3231
* EdVenture program, The University of Hawaii Maui College is offering the following classes. For information or to register, call 984-3460:
** "Container Gardening for Small Spaces" with Deborah Kremins. You will learn how to choose the right container, the best plants for your container, basic care of the plants, and design ideas. Class 308S12. Monday from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Cost is $45. Laulima 107.
** "Beyond Beginning Golf" with Dodd Hessey. This class not only helps you diagnose and treat your full swing issues, it also introduces ways for you to develop your putting, chipping, and pitching. Class 329S12. Cost is $169, material fees included. Wednesdays from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. through Sept. 5. Maui Lani Golf Course.
** "Introduction to French" with Olivia Techoueyres. This course will teach basic French to communicate and travel in any French speaking countries. Class 325S12. Cost is $139. Ask about required textbook. Wednesdays through Sept. 19, 6-8 p.m., Laulima 107.
** "Hawaii's Marine Naturalist Certification & Training" with Hannah Bernard. This class offers an overview of some of Hawaii's most visible and oft-encountered protected marinelife, their basic biological needs, distribution and how to assist in their protection. Class 310S12. Cost is $139. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 20 and 27. Laulima 107.
* Writing Classes. Jasmyne Boswell will be offering beginner, intermediate and advanced writing classes starting Wednesday and Thursday. Learn tools and techniques to make your writing come alive. Six-week session, $195. Call 268-5807 or see www.jasmyneconsulting.com
* Filipino 1 Tagalog class, is offered at UH-Maui College for the fall semester. This is a four-units credit class. Classes will be on Mondays and Wednesdays, 3 to 4:50 p.m. at Heona I, starting Aug. 20. For inquiries, call Sydney Villegas at 205-7274 or 984-3306.
* Zumba Classes in Kihei/Wailea, The Latin-Fitness Dance Class that incorporates dances from all over the world. Mondays and Wednesdays, 6 p.m. at Kalama Heights, Garden Room 101 Kanani Road, Kihei. Cost is $5 for Hawaii residents, $8 for visitors. Call Carolina De Calisto at 2801523 or send email to email@example.com
* "Adding Shadows to Your Art Work - Phase II,"?with Elizabeth Brandon, Makawao Public Library, 1159 Makawao Ave. Monday, 2:30 p.m. in the Children's section. All art supplies including chalks and pastels will be provided. Ages 5 and older. For information, call 573-8785.
* "Sugar: The Bitter Truth," presented by Lisa Mascara explores the damage caused by sugary foods. UH-Maui College Class Act Restaurant, Tuesday, 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., Cost is $20, includes a three-course lunch. Register online at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Tai Chi, taught by Bob Carter. Every Friday from noon to 1:30 p.m., Unity Church of Maui Sanctuary, 483 S. High St., Wailuku. Cost is $5. See Bob's website at www.spiritualwakeup.com.