KAHULUI -- Maui police are investigating how a 15-year-old Kahului boy obtained prescription pain medication that led to his fatal drug overdose Thursday during a beer party at a Kahului residence.
A 19-year-old Kihei man also ingested the medication, was observed to be distress and was taken to Maui Memorial Medical Center where he was held overnight for treatment and observation, police said.
Police were called at 1:23 p.m. Thursday to respond to a report of an unresponsive male at a Kahului residence. They found the 15-year-old boy dead at the scene.
"The investigation revealed the victim to have brought prescription pain medication to a party at the residence the night before and offered it to other party-goers," police said in a news release.
The teen and the 19-year-old Kihei man were seen ingesting the pain medication and beer during the party at 12:30 a.m. Thursday. The 19-year-old was upgraded to stable condition and was expected to be released Friday.
The owner of the Kahului home was off-island and was unaware that people had broken into his home to have a beer party, police said.