Clarification of the issues on the Kihei mall (Letters, Aug. 30):
* The original plan was to have a light industrial park. Companies that could be brought in to such a park would probably offer better jobs at a higher salary than retail stores.
* A large outlet mall, if that is what residents really want, belongs in Kahului. If it were in Kahului then it would be accessible to all of the residents of Maui county equally. Traveling from Hana, Lanai or Molokai, why not shop for everything in the same place?
* Seven miles is not that far to travel to shop for a pair of shoes. Our children have been traveling even farther each day to go to high school.
* Every Kihei resident has to travel to Kahului to shop now. How much more inconvenient can it be to travel to town for all one's needs?
* Kihei does not need an outlet mall; Kihei needs a high school.
* Kihei could use a light industrial park to provide residents with better-paying jobs - jobs with benefits and security.