In preparation for the Maui Fair, county officials announced Maui Bus route changes for the Maui Fair Parade on Thursday and "County on Your Corner" events each day during the fair that runs from Thursday to Sept. 30.
Part of Kaahumanu and Kanaloa avenues leading to the fair at the War Memorial Complex will be closed for the parade. Stops in the area will be eliminated.
The County of Maui Department of Transportation announced the following changes to accommodate the parade:
Richard Martin is busy putting some of the finishing touches on Covenant Power Church’s Maui Fair food booth on Wednesday. Martin said the congregation has already begun gathering and preparing the ingredients that will go into its traditional Hawaiian plate, including picking, prepping, cleaning, bagging and freezing luau leaf for squid luau. Martin’s wife, Janet, is the church’s pastor. Each year as they piece the food booth together like a puzzle, he said church members try to make it better, more efficient. “We’re trying to perfect it,” Martin said. Maui Fair 2012 is scheduled to run Thursday to Sept. 30 at the War Memorial Complex in Wailuku. For many island organizations, the fair is the biggest fundraiser of the year.
The Maui News / MATTHEW THAYER photo
* Lahaina Islander (Lahaina Bound). 4:40 p.m. and 5:40 p.m. Wells Street and Waikapu stops from Queen Ka'ahumanu Center heading to Lahaina will be eliminated.
* Kahului Loop Route No. 5. 2:32 p.m., 3:32 p.m., 4:32 p.m. and 5:32 p.m. Harbor Lights/Maui College stop from Queen Ka'ahumanu Center and the 4:35 p.m. and 5:35 p.m. Roselani Place and Papa Avenue/Kea Street stops will be eliminated.
* Kahului Reverse Loop Route No. 6. 2:53 p.m., 3:53 p.m., 4:53 p.m. and 5:53 p.m. Harbor Lights/Maui College stop going to Queen Ka'ahumanu Center and 4:49 p.m. and 5:49 p.m. Roselani Place and Papa Avenue/Kea Street stops will be eliminated.
* Wailuku Loop Route No. 1. 4:40 p.m. and 5:40 p.m. Maui Memorial Medical Center and Maui Lani Parkway stops and 4:23 p.m., 5:23 p.m. and 6:23 p.m. Kanaloa Avenue stops will be eliminated.
* Wailuku Reverse Loop Route No. 2. 4:03 p.m., 5:03 p.m. and 6:03 p.m. Kanaloa Avenue stops will be eliminated.
Remaining bus routes will operate normally with some deviation but will serve all other bus stops. Expect delays in pickup times due to the increased traffic during the parade, a news release said.
Also, Maui Bus commuter parking, normally allowed in the War Memorial Stadium parking lot, will be relocated to the Kahului Boat Ramp during the fair.
For more information, contact Roberts Hawaii at 871-4838 or the county Department of Transportation at 270-7511.
At the fair, the county will host a "County on Your Corner" event each day. It's a monthly program where county department heads and staff will be on hand to answer questions in person. The county booth will be located near the entertainment tent.