The Haleakala Observatory's telescope towers building was evacuated Wednesday evening after a report of smoke from overheating generators in the basement, a fire official said.
Kula, Makawao and Kahului firefighters, including a HazMat team, responded to the 6:14 p.m. call reporting the smoke, said Fire Services Chief Lee Mainaga. While fire crews were responding, the observatory supervisor reported a generator was smoking and had been shut off, Mainaga said.
He said fire units met with the supervisor, who reported that air compressor generators used to cool the telescope were overheating.
No damage or injuries were reported.