* Personal: Age 18 daughter of Cindy and Bill Giebink of Makawao; enjoys listening to music and cooking
* At School: Student Body Co-President, Leo Club Vice-President, National Honor Society Vice-President, varsity tennis captain, varsity soccer team captain, Maui District Student Council Organization, Best Buddies member, Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) tutor
* Off Campus: Camp Imua leader, Manuia Soccer Club member
* Beyond High School: I plan to attend a university on the west coast to study environmental science and political science
* Who is your personal hero and why?
"My personal hero is my friend Kenya Sherman. As an incoming freshman on the varsity soccer team, Kenya stepped bravely into her role as a starting defender. I came to recognize the courage, self confidence and integrity that defined her as a person. Kenya knows who she is. Something so incredibly simple has been my biggest challenge throughout high school. She has shown me what it means to be true to yourself and as a powerful, beautiful young lady, she has inspired me to better myself in the hope that one day I?may be half the woman she is."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.