A workshop on rat lungworm (angiostrongylus cantonensis), which can be passed to humans with possibly deadly consequences through consuming uncooked produce or slugs or snails, will be held from 5:45 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the University of Hawaii Maui College.
The parasitic nematode lives in the lungs of rats and may be passed to slugs and snails, a news release about the event said. The effects of ingestion of the nematode can range from no effects to coma and even death.
The workshop will provide information on the biology and behaviors of the rat lungworm and how to manage the parasite better in gardens, on farms and when consuming uncooked produce at home. The medical effects and treatments will be discussed as well.
The speakers will include Rob Crowe, University of Hawaii-Manoa Pacific Biosciences Research Center; Sue Jarvi, University of Hawaii-Hilo College of Pharmacy; Dr. Jon Martell, Hilo Medical Center; Takako Nakaaki, epidemiological specialist with the Maui District Health Office of the state Department of Health; and Jim Hollyer, University of Hawaii-Manoa College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources (CTAHR) program manager.
The event is free and requires no RSVP.
It will be held at the CTAHR Cooperative Extension Service, Building 205 on the campus of UH-Maui College.
This workshop is a joint educational effort funded by a U.S. Department of Agriculture-National Institute of Food and Agriculture grant with the assistance of the USDA, CTAHR, Hilo Medical Center, the state Department of Health and the Pacific Biosciences Research Center.
For more information about the meeting, call Luisa Castro, CTAHR Maui Cooperative Extension Office, at 244-3242, ext. 232. For questions about the rat lungworm, call the Maui District Health Office at 984-8213.