* Personal: Age 17, daughter of Gregorio and Anita Sagario of Kahului. Enjoys traveling, spending time with friends and family, playing with pets, doing arts and crafts, learning new things from tutorial videos on Youtube and trying new things when an opportunity arises.
* At School: Marching Band & Colorguard (drum major), school robotics team captain, Key Club vice president, National Honor Society vice president, honor roll, symphonic band (clarinet), Health Occupations Students of America.
* Off Campus: Maui Nui Youth Alliance, American Lung Association of Maui volunteer, Nisea Veterans Memorial center, past volunteer.
Lavinia Castillo Sagario
* Beyond High School: Plans to attend school on mainland to study pre-medicine, then go to the University of Washington medical school. Wants to become a physician.
* Who is your personal hero and why?
"My parents are my heroes because they have shaped me into the person I am today. Although I continue to do a lot of activities even when they tell me to quit due to my busy schedule, my parents are still behind me with their loving support. By allowing me to make my own decisions, they taught me independence. I've learned what dedication is because they showed me how much work it is to provide for a family. I love you, Mom and Dad! Thank you for everything you have done in order for me to have a bright future."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.