To have your class, workshop or presentation included in this free listing, email its title, instructor, location, dates, start/end times, cost and brief description to email@example.com. Due to the volume of submissions, items will be listed as close as possible to their start date; if a deadline to enroll is included, the event will be listed on the Sunday before deadline. High-res digital photos, depending on quality, are used if space permits. Submissions are subject to revision and rewriting, inclusion is not guaranteed and publication does not mean programs are endorsed by The Maui News.
* "Winter Break Arts Camp" with Andrea Giammattei will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. (4 p.m. additional fee), Dec. 17-21 in Pukalani. This winter break camp will provide collaborative learning and team work. Ages five to nine are welcome. Cost is $50/day; $250 for the week. Advance registration required, call 280-0535.
* EdVenture classes. The University of Hawaii Maui College is offering the following classes. For information or to register, call 984-3231.
** "Lets Draw Cats." Cat Blake will hold a workshop for illustrations involving posture and expressions of cats, from 5:30 to 8 p.m. this Wednesday and Dec. 12, at Laulima 107. Bring a photo or two of your favorite feline. Begin with pencil, then move into pen and finally add colored pencils. Cost is $69.
** "Home Fruit Production: Avocados, Bananas and Citrus" with Anne Gachuhi will be held from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday and Dec. 13 at Laulima 107. This session will cover information on choosing the suitable varieties of avocados, citrus and bananas to grow. Also site selection, soils, fertilizer applications, pollination, pruning, identification and control of pests, diseases and weeds. Cost is $69.
** "Dog Self Defense" with Lisa Giesick will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday at Laulima 107. Learn how to prevent dog bites, and how to respond if you are attacked by a stray dog. Also covered is body language and how to behave when loose dogs approach you. Cost is 39.
** "Make It and Take It: Unique Jewelry Designs" a College for Kids class, with Bobbie Rucker will be held from 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday at Laulima 106. This class is for one parent and one teen to take together. Create simple bracelets and necklaces with beads and beach glass. Grade 5 and above welcome. Cost is $45.
* Art classes. Barbara Steinberg will teach after school watercolor and drawing classes for ages 6 through 12 from 3 to 5 p.m. Wednesdays through Jan. 2 at Kihei Community Center. This class is co-sponsored by Maui Parks and Recreation. Cost is $95, or $10 weekly. To register, call 879-0025.
* Art classes. "Intermediate Digital Photography" with Aubrey Hord will be from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday at The Hui No'eau Visual Arts Center, 2841 Baldwin Ave. Cost is $80 ($100 nonmember) plus lab fee: $5. For more information, call 572-6560 or visit huinoeau.com.
* "Comparing Popular Diets" with Dr. Steve Blake will be held at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday at Temple of Peace in Haiku. Learn how nutrition changes as we move away from the standard American diet. Sample diets will be displayed, from the Atkin's diet to the Paleo diet, to a raw food diet. The connection between disease and diets will be explored. Donation of $20, no one turned away. For more information, call Steve 572-8371 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Health classes. Kaiser Permanente - Maui Lani Clinic in Wailuku will offer the following classes.
** "Wisdom Healing QiGong" with Sherry Remez will be from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. for three Fridays. This class presents a series of gentle movements to reduce stress, strengthen the body, and calm the mind. Cost is $15. Advance registration is required by calling 270-7308.
** "Breastfeeding Class" with Mary Jane Bennett will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday. Expectant mothers, fathers, family and significant others learn the benefits of breastfeeding, how it works and how to support the new mother. Cost is $25 Kaiser Permanente Members; $35 non-Kaiser Permanente Members. Advance registration is required by email email@example.com.
** "10 Warning Signs of Alzheimer's." This family education program will be from 10 to 11 a.m., Dec. 10. Participants aim to increase awareness of the warning signs of Alzheimer's disease and the benefits of early detection and diagnosis. Free. Advance registration is required by calling 270-7308.
* Solder class. Maui Makers, a local not-for-profit makerspace, is offering it's first "Learn to Solder" class from 2 to 5 p.m. Saturday. Build an electronics kit on a board or make solid wire connections. Cost varies. For information and location see www.mauimakers.com or sign up at mauimakerssoldering2012.eventbrite.com
* Marine tour. Pacific Whale Foundation will show participants what it's like to be a whale researcher from 8 to 11:30 a.m. Mondays. For more information, call 249-8811, ext. 1, or visit www.pacificwhale.org.