Firefighters were investigating Tuesday morning whether fireworks were to blame for a New Year's Eve fire that destroyed a 600-foot cottage at 51 Kono Place in Kahului.
Kahului firefighters responding to the 9:34 p.m. alarm found the home fully engulfed in flames with an adjacent structure with fire and smoke coming from its rooftop, said Fire Services Chief Lee Mainaga.
Damage to the cottage was estimated at $152,000, with damage to the other structure, where the fire was contained to one section of the home, assessed at $25,000, Mainaga said. That building was under construction and unoccupied.
Residents of the cottage were displaced and left the scene, he said. Their status was unknown.
Fire officials reported dozens of brush and rubbish bin fires in Upcountry, South and West Maui around midnight on New Year's Eve. It wasn't immediately known how many were fireworks related.