To have your class, workshop or presentation included in this free listing, email its title, instructor, location, dates, start/end times, cost and brief description to email@example.com. Due to the volume of submissions, items will be listed as close as possible to their start date; if a deadline to enroll is included, the event will be listed on the Sunday before deadline. High-res digital photos, depending on quality, are used if space permits. Submissions are subject to revision and rewriting, inclusion is not guaranteed and publication does not mean programs are endorsed by The Maui News.
* Art classes. The Hui No'eau Visual Arts Center, 2841 Baldwin Ave., is offering the following classes. For details or to register, call 572-6560 or visit huinoeau.com.
** "Jewelry for Teens: Teen Wax Casting" with Julie Matheis will be from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. Mondays through April 1. Teens will use traditional wax carving tools, discover the proper way to set up designs with sprues, and invest them in fine jeweler's plaster. Cost is $110 ($137 nonmember) plus supply fee: $25.
** "Jewelry with Shells" with Julie Matheis will be from 6 to 9 p.m. Mondays through March 18. Learn to use the jeweler's saw, torch and hammer to design jewelry using your favorite seashells. Cost is $135 ($169 nonmember) plus supply and lab fee: $20.
** "Beginning Jewelry" with Luana Coonen will be from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Mondays through April 3. This class teaches fundamental fabrication techniques using wire and sheet metals. Cost is $195 ($244 nonmember) plus supply and lab fee: $45.
** "Beginner's Guide to DSLR Camera Navigation & Composition" with Aubrey Hord will be from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday and Thursday. This workshop covers the basics of how to navigate your camera and how to get started on shooting with the manual setting. Cost is $80 ($100 nonmember) plus lab fee: $5 and supply list.
** "Advanced Independent Fine Jewelry Studies" with David Welty will be from 6 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays through April 3. This course is designed for serious, focused, goal-oriented students seeking professional career instruction in fine jewelry creation and production. Cost is $350 ($438 nonmember) plus supply and lab fee: $150.
* EdVenture classes. The University of Hawaii Maui College is offering the following classes. For information or to register, call 984-3231.
** "Pen & Ink" with Iris Sandkuhler will be from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday. Learn traditional techniques/concepts that include: hatching, cross hatching, stippling, mapping, positive/negative space relationship and visual weight. Cost is $99 plus supply list.
** "Taoist Longevity Breathing" with Kurt Miyajima will be from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. Saturdays through April 13. Learn how to use the breath to literally move everything inside the abdominal cavity to massage all the internal organs. Cost is $89.
** "Learn to Knit" with Francine M. Fernandez will be from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. Learn the basic knitting stitches to get you started. Tools and supplies are provided. Cost is $94.
** "Improv Comedy Fun" with Dan Weisman will be from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturdays through March 23. Learn the fun-damentals behind successful improv comedy. Play hilarious improv games with accompanying musical backgrounds. Cost is $89.
* Tai chi classes. John Rivera and Jan Osterneck will teach beginner "Tai Chi Chuan" courses from 5 to 6 p.m. Tuesdays for ten weeks, Upcountry. Beginner T'ai Chi Ch'uan is excellent for improving concentration, strengthening the mind / body connection, and enhancing health and well-being. Cost is $100. To register or for more information call 264-1600.
* Gardening classes. Anne Gachuhi of the Home Gardening Support Network will be conducting the following gardening classes. Cost is $15. For more information or to register, call 446-2361, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.homegardeningsupportnetwork.com.
** "Major Diseases of Vegetables" will be from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Wednesday at Bailey House Museum, Wailuku. This session covers the major vegetable diseases and the common vegetables affected, including: tomatoes, cabbages, cucumbers, onions, lettuce and pepper. Participants will learn about the environmental factors necessary for diseases to occur and the control strategies to take including organic methods and IPM (integrated pest management) practices.
** "Garden Bugs and their Control" will be from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the Lumeria Maui, Makawao. This session covers the simple ways to identify common garden bugs, their damage symptoms and how to control them.
* Spring break art classes. Barbara Steinberg will teach spring break art classes from 3 to 5 p.m. Wednesdays through March 27 at Kihei Community Center. Drawing and water color of native animals and plants. Ages 6-14 are welcome. Cost is $10 week ($15 for last week as it is longer). To register, call 879-0025 or visit www.barbarasteinbergart.com.
* Healing retreat with Jody Soltau Mountain will start on Friday though March 6 at Pahana Farms, Huelo. This workshop renews your life force, healing the past and reconnecting with the spirit within. Cost is $1,900. For more information, contact 575-2294, email@example.com, www.LineageofLight.com.
* Fruit fly management. Maui Master Gardeners at UH-Maui College campus, Building 205, Kahului will hold a free class from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Saturday. Learn to identify and prevent fruit-fly damage, and the areas and crops different flies like best. Bring an empty two-liter plastic bottle for a baited fruit fly trap. To register, call 244-3242, ext. 222.