* Personal: Age 17; daughter of Claire Kobayashi and Earl Takemoto of Makawao; enjoys playing tennis, reading, photography and traveling.
* At School: Student Body treasurer, Health Occupations Students of America vice president, National Honor Society tutor and member, Leo Club, senior class treasurer, Advanced VIA Individual Determination (AVID) tutor, varsity tennis captain.
* Off Campus: Passionately Pink for the Cure team captain. Recently organized breast cancer charity walk.
* Beyond High School: Plans to go into the medical field at a university in New York.
* Who is your personal hero and why? "My personal hero is my grandmother who passed away last May. She was truly a beautiful person who always put others before herself. I remember the little things she did that meant a lot. She'd pick me up from school with a car full of food, but in the end, when you add up all the things, you see an amazing woman. She came from almost nothing, but made the most of her life. No matter what, she kept a smile on her face and spirit in her eyes. Her kindness inspires me to be the best I may be."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.