WAILUKU - A 22-year-old Pukalani man has been indicted on five counts of manslaughter in connection with a two-car collision in Kula last year that killed his five passengers.
During his arraignment Wednesday in 2nd Circuit Court, Libert Qalivere pleaded not guilty to the manslaughter charges, as well as charges of second-degree negligent injury, two counts of inattention to driving and driving under the influence of alcohol.
The crash, which was the deadliest in more than two decades on Maui, occurred at about 6:30 a.m. March 25 on Kula Highway near Noholoa Street. Police said the Dodge Neon driven by Qalivere was heading downhill on the highway and may have been speeding when he lost control and the car began to spin counter-clockwise. The car crossed the double-solid lines separating opposing traffic and collided with a four-door Suzuki sedan, police said.
The Neon was split in half in the collision. Killed in the crash were Neon passengers Remington Taylor Redwell, 20, of Lahaina; Steven R. Shaw, 20, of Lahaina; Annastachia Cruz-Kalua, 19, of Pukalani; Ambrose "AJ" Momoa, 20, of Waiehu; and Karl Barrack, 20, of Pukalani.
A man and two women in the Suzuki were transported by ambulance to Maui Memorial Medical Center for treatment.
Deputy Prosecutor Mark Simonds said Qalivere was indicted on the charges Friday by a Maui County grand jury. The indictment was filed Monday, Simonds said. Officers of the police Traffic Section's Vehicle Homicide Unit arrested Qalivere at his residence on Ikea Place on Tuesday, police said.
In court Wednesday, a June 3 trial date was set for Qalivere. He is being held in lieu of $750,000 bail pending a bail hearing Tuesday.
Qalivere was ordered to have no contact with the immediate family members of those killed in the crash and the occupants of the Suzuki. He also was ordered not to consume alcohol or illegal drugs.
If released on bail, Qalivere was ordered to surrender his passport, abide by a 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew and not operate a motor vehicle.