Self-guided exhibit to open Monday
Waipuna Chapel will host a free Stations of the Cross exhibit from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through March 29.
The exhibit is a self-guided, interactive multimedia journey following Jesus footsteps to the cross.
The chapel is at 17 Omaopio Road in Kula.
For more information, call 878-6343 or go online to www.waipunachapel.com.
Good Friday, Easter services announced
Calvary Chapel South Maui will celebrate Good Friday at 7 p.m. March 29 and Easter Sunday services at 6:30, 8 and 10 a.m. March 31.
The church is at 575 S. Kihei Road. For more information, call 874-9238.
'Inspiration and Joy' at the MACC
Unity Church of Maui's the Rev. Blaine Tinsley will present an Easter service of "Inspiration and Joy" during a program from 10 to 11:30 a.m. March 31 in the Maui Arts & Cultural Center's McCoy Theater, according to an announcement.
Special entertainment will be provided by Omar Adisa Camara, Curt Lee and Ken Stover. There also will be a children's program and an Easter egg hunt.
St. Anthony sets Easter schedule
St. Anthony Church in Wailuku has announced its Easter schedule, which begins with Palm Sunday Mass and culminates with Easter Sunday Mass on March 31.
The schedule follows:
* Palm Sunday Mass - 5 p.m. Saturday; 7 a.m., 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Sunday.
* Tenebrae Services Mass - 6 p.m. Wednesday.
* Holy Thursday Mass - 6 p.m.
* Good Friday (March 29), Stations of the Cross, noon; Mass 6 p.m.
* Easter Vigil Mass - 7 p.m. March 30.
* Easter Sunday Mass - 7 and 9 a.m. March 31; no evening Mass.
Grace Church to hold Passover Seder
Grace Church will hold a Passover Seder beginning at 5 p.m. Monday.
The church is at 55 Makaena Road, across from King Kekaulike High School in Pukalani.
Seating is limited, and those planning to attend are asked to call 572-8384 to reserve their seats. There's a $5 reservation fee.
Schedule for Passover set
The Jewish Congregation of Maui has released its schedule of services for Passover and Shabbat Services and its annual Community Seders.
The schedule is:
* Monday - 10 a.m. Chametz burning at synagogue; 6 p.m. service; 6:20 p.m. light candles; and 6:30 p.m. Community Seder.
* Tuesday - 10 a.m. Pesach first day service, including Tal, the prayer for dew; 7 p.m. service; and 7:30 p.m. Seder II traditional.
* Wednesday - 10 a.m. Pesach second day service.
* March 29 - 6:30 p.m. Shabbat Chol Hamo'ed service (abbreviated).
* March 30 - 10 a.m. Shabbat and Pesach service, including Shir Hashirim, Song of Songs.
* March 31 - 6:22 p.m. Light candles; 6:30 p.m. Pesach seventh night service.
* April 1 - 10 a.m. Pesach seventh day service.
* April 2 - 10 a.m. Pesach eighth day service, including Yizkor/Memorial service.
On Monday, Jews around the world will begin celebrating Passover. During this time, the 3,300-year-old story of Exodus from Egypt is retold. By Biblical commandment, Exodus 12:14-20, Jews refrain from eating leavened foods such as bread, cookies, cakes and any grain-related foods for eight days in observance of the holiday.
All food items served at the Jewish Congregation of Maui are strictly kosher.
Beit Shalom Synagogue is located at 634 Alulike St. in Kihei, on the corner of Kaonoulu and Alulike streets.
For reservations or more information, call 874-5397.
Good Friday, Easter services scheduled
Waipuna Chapel's Easter Sunday services will be held at 8, 9:30 and 11 a.m. March 31, with Pastor Shaun Waite preaching on "There's Nothing Religious About It."
The church's music team and choir will sing traditional and contemporary Easter songs, and a children's program will include an egg hunt, for keiki through the 5th grade.
The chapel's Good Friday service will be held at 7 p.m. March 29, with a quiet reflection on Jesus' crucifixion. Child care will be provided for children up to the 4th grade.
The chapel is at 17 Omaopio Road, at the intersection with Kula Highway. For more information, call the church office at 878-6343 or go online to www.waipunachapel.com.
Services for Holy Week announced
Holy Week services at Po'okela Church will begin with Palm Sunday at 9 a.m. Sunday.
Good Friday services on March 29 will start at 7 p.m., with Easter Sunday services at 9 a.m. March 31, followed by a jumping castle ride for keiki, an Easter egg hunt, egg coloring and other activities.
A light brunch will be provided after the service.
The church is at 200 Olinda Road in Makawao.
Kihei churches to share services
Kihei Lutheran Church will usher in Holy Week with Palm Sunday worship services at 8 and 10:30 a.m. Sunday. Each service will include a procession with palms and Holy Communion.
On both Maundy Thursday and Good Friday, the congregation will share services with Trinity Episcopal Church-by-the-Sea and the Kihei Tongan United Methodist Mission.
The Maundy Thursday service will start at 7:30 p.m. at Trinity by the Sea, located at 100 Kulanihakoi St. in Kihei. It will include foot washing and Holy Communion.
The Good Friday service will begin at 7 p.m. March 29 at Kihei Lutheran. The service will include readings of Christ's Passion and the extinguishing of candles.
Kihei Lutheran Church is on the corner of Piilani Highway and Moi Place.
For more information, contact Pastor Dave Krueger at 879-7979 or go online to www.kiheilutheran.org.
Churches set Holy Week schedules
Maria Lanakila Catholic Church has released its and the Sacred Hearts Mission's Holy Week and Easter Sunday service schedules.
The schedule for Maria Lanakila is:
* Holy Thursday - No morning Mass; 7 p.m. Mass of the Lord's Supper, followed by solemn adoration; 10 p.m. prayer.
* Good Friday (March 29) - No morning Mass; 9 a.m. prayer; 3 and 7 p.m. Good Friday liturgy.
* Holy Saturday (March 30) - No morning or 5:30 p.m. Mass; 8 p.m. the Great Vigil of Easter.
* Easter Sunday (March 31) - 7, 9 and 11 a.m., 5:30 and 7 p.m., with the Spanish community.
At the Sacred Hearts Mission in Kapalua, the service schedule is:
* Holy Thursday - 6 p.m. Mass in Spanish.
* Good Friday - 3 p.m. Good Friday liturgy in English and 6 p.m. liturgy in Spanish.
* Holy Saturday - No 5:30 p.m. Mass; 6 p.m. Easter Vigil Mass in Spanish.
* Easter - 7 and 9 a.m. Masses, both in English.
Lenten studies continues Sunday
Ala Lani United Methodist Church will continue its Lenten studies Sunday on the theme of "Intimacy with God."
The retired Rev. Lilia Lopez-Rahman will lead the study at 6:30 p.m.
The study will focus on Luke 22:1-30 in which Jesus and his disciples celebrate their last Passover with the Last Supper.
The church is at 50 S. Papa Ave. in Kahului. For more information, call 871-4950.
Wailuku Door of Faith sets services
Wailuku Door of Faith Church has announced its schedule of Easter season services.
The schedule follows:
* Palm Sunday - 10 a.m. service.
* Good Friday - 6 p.m. candlelight communion/personal contemplation, 7 p.m. special music and message and 8 p.m. showing of "Passion of the Christ."
* Easter Sunday (March 31) - 6 a.m. sunrise service at the War Memorial Stadium.
The church is at 432 Waiehu Beach Road. For more information, call 244-1286.
Egg-dyeing event to be held March 30
Makawao Union Church will hold an "Egg Dyeing Eggstravaganza" from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. March 30.
Participants are asked to bring a dozen hard-boiled eggs per child. Children should wear appropriate clothing. Refreshments will be provided as well as other Easter crafts and games.
The church is at 1445 Baldwin Ave. in Makawao. For more information, call 579-9261.
Service to include special music
The Easter Sunday worship service at Makawao Union Church will begin at 10:30 a.m. March 31 and will include special music and a hand bell performance, according to an announcement.
The service will be preceded with the serving of hot cross buns and fruit in the church's community hall from 9:30 to 10:15 a.m.
Beginning at 11:45 a.m., there will be an Easter egg hunt for young children.
The church is at 1445 Baldwin Ave. For more information, call 579-9261.
Church announces Holy Week services
St. John's Episcopal Church has released its schedule of Holy Week services.
The schedule is:
* Monday - 8:30 a.m. prayer.
* Tuesday - 8:30 a.m. prayer.
* Wednesday - 8:30 a.m. Holy Eucharist and healing prayer.
* Maundy Thursday - 6 p.m. Eucharist and foot washing.
* Good Friday (March 29) - Noon meditations on the seven last words of Christ. (Children will color eggs during the service. Each is asked to bring a dozen hard-boiled eggs to decorate and leave for an egg hunt on Easter Sunday.) A free community supper will be held from 5:30 to 7 p.m.
* Easter Sunday (March 31) - 6:30 a.m. Easter Vigil, 8 a.m. brunch and 9:30 a.m. services, followed by an Easter Egg hunt for children who've attended Sunday school first.
The church is at 8992 Kula Highway. For more information, call 878-1485.
Easter season services set
Keawala'i Congregational Church will begin its Easter season with Palm/Passion Sunday services at 7:30 and 10 a.m. Sunday.
Church members and friends are encouraged to wear their finest lauhala papale or hats woven out of pandanus leaves. The services give congregation members an opportunity to commemorate Jesus' entry into Jerusalem and to recall the events that led to his arrest, trial and crucifixion, according to an announcement.
At the 10 a.m. service only, Na Leo Nahenahe, the adult choir, will sing "Walk in Jerusalem," an arrangement by Rollo Dilworth, and the Children's Ensemble will perform "Twelve Disciples."
On Maundy Thursday, a service will begin at 7 p.m. in the church sanctuary. The adult choir will sing "Bread of the World" by Reginald Huber and Ron Klusmeier. Stephen Haines, director of the Music Ministry Program, will direct the choir. Members of the music team include organist Danny Brown and pianist Ellen Caringer.
Easter Sunday services will be held at 7:30 a.m. March 31 on the church grounds. The outdoor service will include the sharing of the Lord's Supper and the Easter floral cross.
Church members and friends are invited to bring single-stem flowers or lei for the cross. All are encouraged to bring nonperishable food items for the Maui Food Bank.
The adult choir will sing "All Earth Rejoice with a Gladsome Voice," a canon by Antonio Vivialdi, arranged by Hal Hopson. The Children's Ensemble will perform "Jesus Loves Me."
Kahului church sets Holy Week services
Emmanuel Lutheran Church in Kahului has announced its Holy Week services in remembrance of Jesus' death and resurrection.
The schedule includes:
* Palm Sunday - 8 and 10:45 a.m. services.
* Holy Thursday - 6 p.m. service.
* Good Friday (March 29) - 6 p.m. service.
* Easter (March 31) - 6:30 a.m. Easter Sunrise service, with breakfast to follow; 10 a.m. service.
The church is at 520 West One St., near the intersection of Kaahumanu and Papa avenues. For more information, call 877-3037.
* * *
* The Religion page is published every Friday. This page welcomes news releases and announcements from churches and religious organizations in Maui County that wish to publicize guest speakers, special events and programs, and news items.
The deadline for submitting releases is 10 a.m. Tuesday in order to be considered for publication the following Friday.
To submit material, go to The Maui News website at www.mauinews.com. Look for Local News in the left margin, then click on Submit News: Virtual Newsroom. Once there, click on the Religion link.
For information, call 242-6343 or send email to email@example.com.