The Wailuku Elementary School team captured the Seabury Hall Maui Math Challenge, a mathematics competition for elementary school students, held in April on the Olinda campus.
The top individual honors went to Wailuku Elementary 5th-grader Jason Huynh for the individual written round and Pukalani Elementary 5th-grader Davin Fronda for the oral countdown round.
Forty-five students from seven public and private elementary schools on Maui participated in the event. The contest was open to 3rd- to 5th-graders.
The individual winners in the written round of the Seabury Hall Maui Math Challenge held in April stand between its two organizers. Shown are (from left) Steve Vurno, Seabury Hall math teacher; Jason Huynh; Davin Fronda; Victor Pagan; and Jesse Doan.
LINDA LINDSAY photo
The competition was the brainchild of Seabury Hall 8th-grader Jesse Doan and his mentor and math teacher, Steve Vurno. The competition was part of Doan's 8th-grade project.
Doan is a math whiz in his own right and captained Hawaii's team in the National Math Counts competition this month in Washington, D.C.
The Maui Math Challenge results follow:
* Overall team - Wailuku Elementary (Jason Huynh, Kazutaka Iinuma-Nakaaki, Michael Wong, Quinton Wong), first; Pukalani Elementary (Victor Pagan, David Fronda, Jade Torgerson, Kaylee Volner), second; Kahului Elementary (Jobelle Daludado, Rodessa Caguioa, Jayden Collado, Melina Perez).
* Overall individual written round - Jason Huynh, Wailuku Elementary, first; Davin Fronda, Pukalani Elementary, second; Victor Pagan, Pukalani Elementary, third.
* Overall oral countdown round - Davin Fronda, Pukalani Elementary, first; Quinton Wong, Wailuku Elementary, second; Jason Huynh, Wailuku Elementary, third.
* Individual written round grade 4 - Quinton Wong, Wailuku Elementary, first; Michael Wong, Wailuku Elementary, second; Kory Shirota, Kahului Elementary, third.
* Individual written round grade 3 - Sean "Aimi" Sakamoto, Pomaikai Elementary, first; Emma Fusato, Kula Elementary, second; Kaylee Volner, Pukalani Elementary, third.