MHS Hall of Honor recipients chosen
Maui High School's Centennial Committee has recently announced its recipients of the 2013 Hall of Honor Awards who will be recognized at a special banquet Oct. 16 at the Maui Beach Hotel.
The awards and recipients are:
Inspiration Award: the late Calvin Yamamoto, a former Maui High teacher and principal.
Spirit of Maui Award:
* Gladys Baisa, Class of 1958, current Maui County Council chairwoman and former executive director of Maui Economic Opportunity Inc.
* Stanford Carr, Class of 1980, founder of Stanford Carr Development Co., a real estate developer across Hawaii.
Silversword Heritage Award:
* The late Beatrice Krauss, Class of 1921, a noted author and ethnobotanist.
* Harrison Miyahira, Class of 1953, founder of HM Electronics, which developed the first wireless microphones and wireless intercom system for fast-food restaurants.
Award of Excellence: Glen Sakagawa, Class of 1966, the youngest U.S. Postal Service executive for the Pacific Rim and a current brigadier general for the Hawaii Army National Guard.
Saber Spirit: Ruth Mukai, Class of 1947, leader and driving force behind the efforts to preserve the Old Maui High School campus at Hamakuapoko.
Maui High's Hall of Honor was created in 2011 and annually recognizes individuals with ties to the school who have make outstanding contributions to the legacy of the school and the school community.
For a longer biography of the honorees, see: www.mauihigh.org and click on the friends icon on the right, then the Hall of Honor listing on the right.
Maui High will hold its centennial celebration this fall with a luau, a memorial service, a golf tournament, a Maui Fair parade float and other events, several surrounding MHS football games.
Maui High opened its doors Sept. 15, 1913, in Hamakuapoko.
Tickets for the hall of honor banquet are $60 and can be purchased by calling MHS Centennial Co-Chairpersons Bobbie Arita at 873-3000 or Mike Molina at 264-4859.
* This story contains a correction to the one originally published on June 26, 2013. Gladys Baisa is a member of the Class of 1958. The wrong class year appeared in the original story due to information provided to The Maui News.