Man is charged in theft of trailer
A Waiehu man was charged with the theft of a utility trailer that was stolen last month from Midway Center in Kahului, police said.
Detectives reviewed surveillance video showing the theft to identify Jerry Welch, 51, as the culprit, police said. When he was questioned, Welch admitted to being involved with the theft, but said he had returned the trailer to the center at 111 Hana Highway, police said.
The trailer was reported stolen July 5.
Bail was set at $5,000 for Welch on a charge of second-degree theft.
Man who jumped into pool airlifted
A 21-year-old man who may have dislocated his left knee when he jumped into a pool at Haleakala National Park's Pools at Oheo was airlifted out of the area Wednesday afternoon, a fire official said.
Hana firefighters, medics and a Kahului rescue crew aboard the Fire Department's Air One helicopter responded to the 1:57 p.m. alarm in the Kipahulu area of the park, said Capt. Bram Denhaan, acting Fire Department public information officer.
The Chicago man jumped into a pool below a bridge and landed on a rock, he said. Firefighters worked their way down to the pool and immobilized the man, securing him in a rescue basket.
The patient was airlifted to a landing zone in the park, where medics treated him. From there, he was taken by ambulance through Kaupo to Maui Memorial Medical Center, Denhaan said.
Ranger airlifted in medical emergency
A Haleakala National Park ranger was airlifted from the crater Wednesday morning after experiencing difficulty breathing and chest pains, a fire official said.
Kula firefighters, medics and a rescue crew aboard the Fire Department's Air One helicopter responded to the 9:49 a.m. call, said Capt. Bram Denhaan, acting Fire Department public information officer. He said the ranger, who had been working in the Paliku area, was airlifted by helicopter and transported to a landing zone outside the crater in the Hosmer Grove area.
After being treated by medics and firefighters, the ranger was transported by Maui Medivac helicopter to Maui Memorial Medical Center, Denhaan said.
Child with lighter starts fire in shed
A child playing with a cigarette lighter started a fire that burned clothing in a shed on Kuula Street in Kahului on Wednesday morning, a fire official said.
Kahului and Wailuku firefighters responded to the 8:45 a.m. alarm reporting that he shed was on fire, said Capt. Bram Denhaan, acting Fire Department public information officer.
When Kahului firefighters arrived, they found that the property owners had extinguished the fire and removed the items that were burning from the shed, Denhaan said. There was no damage to the building and minimal losses to clothing.
Flags lowered in memory of Heen
U.S. and Hawaii flags will fly at half-staff today in honor of former state Rep. Ernest "Juggie" Nalani Heen Jr.
Gov. Neil Abercrombie made the order for the day of Heen's memorial service, a news release from the Governor's Office said.
Heen served in the state Legislature for three terms in the 1960s and was the recipient of the Democratic Party of Hawaii 2012 Lifetime Achievement Award.
He died June 30 in Honolulu at age 82.