2 sought in sex assault attempt
Police are looking for two men who kidnapped and tried to sexually assault a woman late Saturday night and early Sunday morning.
The incident occurred between 10 p.m. Saturday and 1 a.m. Sunday at a party in Kahului, Maui Police Department spokesman Lt. William Juan said.
Juan said that the 20-year-old woman was grabbed by the two men at the party and forced into a dark-colored sports utility vehicle.
The woman was taken to a "remote area" in Paia where the men attempted to sexually assault her, Juan said.
He said that the woman was able to fight off the men and bit one of them on the cheek - causing a visible injury - and fled home, where she called police.
The men are described as "local," possibly Filipino, and 25 to 30 years old. They are about 5 feet 8 inches to 5 feet 9 inches tall and have slender builds.
Police are asking anyone who encounters the men to not approach them and to call 244-6400 or Detective J. Mahoney at 244-6425.
Power outage hits Central Maui
A power outage in Kahului left 400 Maui Electric Co. customers without electricity for more than two hours Sunday.
The outage began at 11:28 a.m. with areas of Kahului bounded by Wakea and Lono avenues and Vevau and Kane streets and part of the Queen Ka'ahumanu Center affected, according to MECO.
Power was restored at 1:44 p.m., said Kau'i Awai-Dickson, MECO spokeswoman.
The cause of the outage is under investigation, she said.
Entries sought for craft fair guide
The Maui News' annual Holiday Craft Fair Guide will be published in the Oct. 20 issue. To be included in the guide, please submit the following information no later than 5 p.m. Oct. 14.
* Name of the event.
* Sponsoring organizations or businesses.
* Date and time.
* A general description of the kinds of items that will be available.
* Admission fee, if any.
* Whether more crafters are being accepted.
* Contact person (first and last name) and contact information (phone and/or email).
* Photos may be submitted for consideration. Email digital images in tif, jpg or eps formats with a minimum resolution of 300 pixels per inch at 6 inches wide for horizontals and 4 inches wide for verticals. Individuals in photos must be identified by first and last name.
Submit the material by mail to The Maui News, Holiday Craft Fair Guide, 100 Mahalani St., Wailuku 96793, by email to email@example.com, or by fax to 242-9087.