Refinishing work to close Lahaina gym
The Lahaina Civic Center Gym will be closed for all of October to refinish the court's wood flooring, the county Department of Parks and Recreation said Wednesday.
The work will include the stripping of the floor to bare wood, painting new graphics and game lines and applying a state-of-the-art clear finish.
For more information, contact Paul Taylor at 270-6173.
State DOT nets a grant for ferry projects
A nearly $7.5 million federal grant has been provided to the state Department of Transportation for ferry projects at Kaunakakai, Manele and Maalaea harbors, U.S. Sen. Brian Schatz announced.
The money from the Federal Transit Administration will go toward rehabilitating ferry terminals and piers, Schatz's announcement said.
"Maintaining an array of options for interisland travel is critical to our state's economy," Schatz said. "These funds will ensure safe and reliable transportation for our islands' residents and visitors, encouraging business travel and statewide tourism."
Submissions being sought for craft guide
The Maui News' annual Holiday Craft Fair Guide will be published in the Oct. 20 issue. To be included in the guide, please submit the following information no later than 5 p.m. Oct. 14.
* Name of the event.
* Sponsoring organizations or businesses.
* Date and time.
* A general description of the kinds of items that will be available.
* Admission fee, if any.
* Whether more crafters are being accepted.
* Contact person (first and last name) and contact information (phone and/or email).
* Photos may be submitted for consideration. Email digital images in tif, jpg or eps formats with a minimum resolution of 300 pixels per inch at 6 inches wide for horizontals and 4 inches wide for verticals. Individuals in photos must be identified by first and last name.
Submit the material by mail to The Maui News, Holiday Craft Fair Guide, 100 Mahalani St., Wailuku 96793, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by fax to 242-9087.