More than $48,000 in Small Business Revitalization grants have been awarded to businesses in Hana and on Lanai and Molokai, the Mayor's Office of Economic Development and Lokahi Pacific announced Wednesday.
The businesses come from areas identified as being hardest hit in being able to recover from the recent economic slowdown.
The matching grant program requires the business owner to contribute 40 percent to the project, with the grant covering the remaining 60 percent. The grant awards assist businesses with projects they would otherwise be unable to afford. Projects include purchasing new equipment; renovating, creating or enhancing websites; purchasing marketing materials; and other purposes to help the businesses grow and sustain jobs.
Grant awards were made to the following companies and owners in:
* Hana. Michael and Terry Kristiansen of Kristiansen Associates of Hawaii Inc., $4,200; and Eileen Comeaux of Hana Herbs & Flowers LLC, $5,000.
* Lanai. Bruce Harvey, doing business as Tommie II, $5,000; William Dierssen, dba Lanai Construction Advisors, $5,000; Barbara Zigmond of M-B Zigmond Inc., dba Pele's Other Garden, $5,000; Steven Lichter, an independent ice maker/distributor, $3,319; and Sam Dimaya Jr. of Island Appliance Sales and Service Inc., $4,507.
* Molokai. Edwina Pico of Red Dirt Construction LLC, $3,000; Taryn Waros of Rockstead Inc., dba Kalele Bookstore & Devine Expressions, $1,434; Suzette Kahana of B&S Kahana Corp., dba Kalapaki Girl Dezigns, $2,946; June Kapuni-Denison of Kapuni Farms LLC, $4,800; Harmonee Williams of Trees of Molokai LLC, $3,500; and Michael Kahinu, sole proprietor of Na'ike, $597.
Lokahi Pacific was selected as the master grantee and manager of the Small Business Revitalization grants.