To have your class, workshop or presentation included in this free listing, email its title, instructor, location, dates, start/end times, cost and brief description to email@example.com. Due to the volume of submissions, items will be listed as close as possible to their start date; if a deadline to enroll is included, the event will be listed on the Sunday before deadline. High-res digital photos, depending on quality, are used if space permits. Submissions are subject to revision and rewriting, inclusion is not guaranteed and publication does not mean programs are endorsed by The Maui News.
* Art classes. The Hui No'eau Visual Arts Center, 2841 Baldwin Ave., is offering the following art classes. For details or to register, call 572-6560 or visit huinoeau.com.
** "Quick Jewelry: Hoops & Stacking Rings Workshop -Level 1" Session 1 with Luana Coonen will be from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. today. Students will create hoop earrings and stacking rings in sterling silver with a simple process, including soldering and hammering. Cost is $75 ($94 nonmember) plus supply & lab fee: $25
** "Beginning Jewelry-Level 1" Session III with Luana Coonen will be from 9 a.m. to noon Wednesdays, through Nov. 20 (no class on Oct. 23). This class is highly recommended before any other jewelry classes are taken. Copper and brass sheet metal and wire are included in the supply fee; sterling silver is available for purchase. Cost is $195 ($244 nonmember) plus supply & lab fee: $45
** "Juror Walk-Through" with Sally French will be at 5 p.m. Thursday. An insightful view into the works of art selected for the Hui's themed exhibition, Going to the Dogs!
** "Argentium Findings Workshop-Level 1" Session I: with Roberta Ann Weisenburg will be from 1 to 5 p.m. Friday. Students will learn how to create their own unique findings. Cost is: $45 ($56 nonmember) plus supply & lab fee: $35
** "Lithography Now: The Fabulous Pronto Plate" with Sally French will be from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday and Oct. 13. This class is open to all levels. Cost is: $155 ($194 nonmember) plus supply fee: $35.
* Ballroom Dance registration. Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association is holding its first of two registrations at 6 to 6:30 p.m. Monday at the Velma McWayne Santos Community Center, 395 Waena Pl., Wailuku. For more information, contact Bill Ruidas, membership chair at 873-8605, or Jeffery Dela Cruz, assistant dance director at 244-3263
* EdVenture classes. The University of Hawaii Maui College is offering the following classes. For information or to register, call 984-3231.
** "Personal Trainer Prep" with Theresa Felgate and Paula Keele will be from 5:30 to 8 p.m. Mondays through Nov. 4. This accelerated five-week course will help individuals prepare for the ACE Personal Trainer Certification Exam. Cost is $379.
** "Certificate in Wedding and Event Planning" will be from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mondays through Nov. 4. This hands-on program covers everything a wedding and event planner needs to know. Online students will be eligible for internships as well upon completion of the program. Students can enroll by calling 1-888-221-9988. Please specify whether you will be attending the class in person, or online only. Cost is $1,495.
** "Chainsaw Safety Certification Class" with Winston Rall will be from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday through Friday. This hands-on, interactive field practice course will prepare you for the safe and proper use of a chainsaw in the workplace. Participants must provide their own personal protection equipment (gloves, chaps, hearing, head and eye protection) and chainsaw. Cost is: $375 / $100 off with A&B Grant Qualification.
** "STEM Week for Kids: Build It!" will be from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday through Friday. Use new WeDo Lego Kits to build, program and play with Ferris wheels and other projects. Requirements: Grades 4 to 8. Cost is: $224. Includes $25 material fee.
** "Tibetan Sacred Art" with Lama Gyaltsen will be from 9 a.m. to noon Fridays through Nov. 8. In this series of classes you will learn how to draw the Medicine Buddha Mandala in the Tibetan tradition by using precise measurements with a stencil grid. Cost is $269. Please ask for a supply list.
** "ServSafe Certification: Class and Online Exam" with Dan Schulte will be from 9 to 4 p.m. Saturday and Oct. 19. This certification is becoming increasingly important in the food and beverage industry as both a hiring requirement and/or documentation of worker training in food safety. Online test voucher is $36.
** "Photography Class (Intermediate Level)" with Ray Mains will be from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays through Nov. 2. (No class on Oct 26.) Improve the quality of your photographs by learning how to increase and decrease light, change white balance and improve basic composition. Intro. to Photography class is a prerequisite. Cost is $179.
* Dog obedience class. Valley Isle Kennel Club will host a six-week basic dog obedience class starting at 6:30 p.m. Monday at Pukalani soccer field. You and your dog will learn how to work together as a team. Basic commands such as heel, sit, down stay and much more will be taught. Cost is $60. For more information, call 572-0257.
* PATCH class.
** "Effects of Challenging Behavior" will be from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday. Free child care class on exploring the effects and supports of challenging behaviors on families and caregivers working with infants and toddlers. PATCH Office, 1063 Lower Main Street, Suite C-214, Wailuku. Call 242-9232.
* Compassionate Activism with Leslie Ashburn will be at 7 p.m. Thursday at Cameron Center, 95 Mahalani St., Wailuku. This talk will explore the links between the function of what is called "the absent referent" in the meat eating culture to other forms of oppression, like racism, sexism, and the destruction of the environment, showing how underlying all of these is the same belief system. Call 280-6865 or firstname.lastname@example.org.