Maui County is advertising for bids from contractors for five roadway improvement projects in Central, South, East and West Maui with a total estimated cost of at least $4.8 million to as much as $15.6 million.
The bid advertisements reflect a fall season "flurry of activity" because appropriated funding for capital improvement projects needs to be encumbered before the end of the year, said county Department of Public Works Director David Goode.
One of the projects is the reconstruction of Wells Street in Wailuku, a job expected to cost between $2 million and $4 million. Bids from contractors are set to be opened Oct. 31.
A close-up of patchwork of rough pavement on Wells Street shows the road’s extensive wear and tear Tuesday in Wailuku. Maui County is seeking bids from contractors to reconstruct the road that runs from High Street to Waiale Road. The project’s cost estimate is $2 million to $4 million, and work is expected to begin early next year.
The Maui News / BRIAN PERRY photo
As with recent work on Wakea Avenue in Kahului, the Wells Street project calls for tearing out the road from High Street to Waiale Road and setting down a new road base and asphalt, Goode said.
Some sidewalk improvements will be done to the south side of the street, and parking will be redone at Wells Park, he said.
Wells Street has "a lot of wear and tear" and is "way beyond" its useful life, Goode said Tuesday.
The project will receive 80 percent federal funding, with the county covering the remaining 20 percent, he said.
A ficus tree near the Wailuku Fire Station will be untouched, he said, because its roots are "not much of a problem."
Engineers are working on plans to detour traffic away from Wells Street while segments are reconstructed, he said. Planners aim "to accommodate everybody's needs."
The Wells Street project is expected to start early next year, he said.
Another project calls for drainage improvements on Hauoli Street in Maalaea. The area was the scene of flooding in December 2010 and January 2011 when heavy rains soaked mauka areas and runoff inundated condominiums, including the Island Sands Resort.
The Maalaea Community Association has pressed the county for drainage improvements in the area.
That Maalaea drainage project is expected to cost between $1 million and $5 million. Bids are scheduled to be opened Oct. 31.
Work includes building a storm-water retention basin mauka of the road and redoing culverts that have been overwhelmed by floodwaters, Goode said.
A box culvert under Hauoli Street will be replaced, and a temporary diversion road will be built, along with a retaining wall and a waterline realignment.
Another project moving from the drawing board to contractors' hands is work to rehabilitate South Kihei Road from Alanui Ke Alii to Kamaole Beach Park III's south entrance.
The project's estimated costs range from $1 million to $5 million, with bids set to be opened Tuesday.
Plans call for removal and replacement of asphalt concrete pavement, sidewalk repair and the installation of curb ramps, signs, pavement striping and markers.
The final two projects going out to bid are district resurfacing projects in West and East Maui.
The West Maui project entails resurfacing segments of Front Street, a job expected to cost from $300,000 to $600,000. Aside from road-paving work, the project includes adjusting manholes and water valves, preserving street survey and centerline monuments, roadway striping and the replacement of signs.
The East Maui project's plans are to overlay pavement on a segment of Piilani Highway in East Maui from Milepost 29 to 31. That work is projected to cost from $500,000 to $1 million.
The East and West Maui project bids are set to be opened Nov. 6.
* Brian Perry can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.