* Personal: Age 17, daughter of Masato and Yoko Naito of Haiku; enjoys playing basketball, dancing hula, drawing, painting and listening to music.
* At School: Senior class president, National Honors Society vice president, Interact Club vice president, Japanese Club secretary, Key Club, Health Occupations Students of America, Advancement Via Individual Determination tutor, varsity basketball team.
* Off Campus: Halau Hula Kauluokala, Rotary Team Maui Teen Advisory Council, 2012 Chrysanthemum Festival first runner-up.
* Beyond High School: Plans to attend a Mainland college and graduate with a degree in engineering.
* What do you think is the biggest problem facing youth today?
"I believe the biggest issue facing youth today is their lack of understanding of how their actions will affect them later. Instead of focusing on their actual improvements of learning, some youth are more focused on the grades that show up on their report card, and overlook the material which they don't understand. These actions lead to confusion as they progress in higher educations, which only slows down their learning careers. Students must find their inner spark and be motivated to challenge themselves intellectually, and not be afraid to learn from their mistakes."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.