Kamehameha Schools Maui high school's entry in the 41st annual Na Mele O Maui Song and Art Competition captured the overall title in the song contest Thursday at the Maui Arts & Cultural Center.
Paia Elementary's grades 2-3 entry took the Hawaiian Language Award at the gathering of 23 classes from 16 Maui County schools.
The event is dedicated to cultural preservation and perpetuation of Hawaiian mele, or language and arts. Each class was required to perform two songs in Hawaiian, a designated contest song and a song of choice. Choirs were judged on musical competence, language proficiency and interpretation, stage presence and all-around enthusiasm.
The winners by division, school, place and choice song follow:
* Division I Grades Kindergarten-1, Competition Song "Puamana" - Kula Kaiapuni O Maui ma Pa'ia, first, "Aloha 'Ia No 'O Maui"; Emmanuel Lutheran School, second, "Mauna Kahalawai."
* Division: II Grades 2-3, "Koke'e" - Pa'ia Elementary, first, "Nohili E"; Wailuku Elementary, second, "Mauna Kahalawai Kahalawai O Maui."
* Division III Grades 4-5, "Hila Hanakahi" - Kamehameha Schools Maui, first, "Kaho'olawe"; Kula Kaiapuni O Maui, second, "Hanohano no 'o Hawai'i.
* Division IV Grades 6-8, "Kaimana Hila" - Kamehameha Schools Maui, first, "Kalama'ula"; Ke Kula Kaiapuni O Kalama, second, "Kipahulu."
* 'Opio Division Grades 9-12, "Palehua" - Kamehameha Schools Maui, first, "Uakea O Hana"; Molokai High School, second, "He Mele No Hina."
The 2013 Art Competition finalists were honored in a special awards presentation, and their winning artwork was displayed on stage.
The event was sponsored by the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel.