These are Maui Scene's minireviews, excerpts of wire service reviews and previews provided by studios and other sources.
* "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit" PG-13, 1:45. Action, drama, thriller. Kaahumanu 6.
Jack Ryan, as a young covert CIA analyst, uncovers a Russian plot to crash the U.S. economy with a terrorist attack. Stars Chris Pine, Kevin Costner and Keira Knightley.
* "Ride Along" PG-13, 1:40. Action, comedy. Kaahumanu 6 and Lahaina Wharf Cinemas.
Fast-talking security guard Ben joins his cop brother-in-law, James, on a 24-hour patrol of Atlanta in order to prove himself worthy of marrying Angela, James' sister. Stars Ice Cube, Kevin Hart and Tika Sumpter.
* "Anohana: The flower we saw that day" NR, 0:23. Animation, drama. Showing Wednesday at Kaahumanu 6.
Six childhood friends have grown apart over the years following the death of one of them, Menma. The original "leader" of this friend group, Jintan, is currently aimless in life, and it is at this point that he starts to see Menma's spirit.
* "The Nut Job" PG, 1:26. Animation, adventure, comedy. Kaahumanu 6 and Lahaina Wharf Cinemas.
Surly, a curmudgeon, independent squirrel is banished from his park and forced to survive in the city. Lucky for him, he stumbles on the one thing that may be able to save his life, and the rest of park community, as they gear up for winter Maury's Nut Store. Stars Will Arnett, Katherine Heigl and Brendan Fraser.
* "American Hustle" R, 2:18. Crime, drama. Maui Mall Megaplex.
A con man, Irving Rosenfeld, along with his seductive British partner, Sydney Prosser, is forced to work for a wild FBI agent, Richie DiMaso. DiMaso pushes them into a world of Jersey powerbrokers and mafia.
* "Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues" PG-13, 1:59. Comedy. Ends tonight at Lahaina Wharf Cinema and Kaahumanu 6.
With the 70s behind him, San Diego's top-rated newsman, Ron Burgundy, returns to take New York's first 24-hour news channel by storm. Stars Will Ferrell, Christina Applegate and Paul Rudd.
* "Frozen," PG, 1:25. Animation, kids and family. Maui Mall Megaplex.
Walt Disney Pictures presents one of its coolest comedy-adventures yet. When a prophecy traps a kingdom in eternal winter, Anna (voiced by Kristen Bell), teams up with extreme mountain man Kristoff and his sidekick reindeer, Sven. They embark on an epic journey to find Anna's sister, Elsa, and put an end to the Snow Queen's icy spell.
* "Girl, Boy, Bakla, Tomboy" NR, 1:45. Comedy. Kaahumanu 6 (Tagalog with English subtitles)
Stars Vice Ganda, Bobby Andrews and Jon Avila. Directed by Wennn V. Dermas.
* "Grudge Match" PG-13, 1:53. Comedy, drama. Ends tonight at Kaahumanu 6.
Two aging boxing rivals are coaxed out of retirement to fight one final bout - 30 years after their last match. Stars Robert De Niro, Sylvester Stallone and Kim Basinger.
* "Her" R 2:06. Comedy, drama, romance. Maui Mall Megaplex.
A lonely writer develops an unlikely relationship with his newly purchased operating system that's designed to meet his every need. Staring Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams and Scarlett Johansson.
* "inside llewyn davis" R, 1:44. Drama, music. Kaahumanu 6.
A week in the life of a young singer as he navigates the Greenwich Village folk scene of 1961. Stars Oscar Isaac, Carey Mulligan and John Goodman.
* "Lone Survivor" R, 2:01. Action, biography, drama. Maui Mall Megaplex and Lahaina Wharf Cinemas.
Based on the failed June 28, 2005, mission "Operation Red Wings:" four members of SEAL Team 10 are tasked with the mission to capture or kill notorious Taliban leader Ahmad Shahd. Stars Mark Wahlberg, Taylor Kitsch and Emile Hirsch.
* "Nebraska" R, 1:55. Adventure, drama. Maui Mall Megaplex.
An aging, booze-addled father makes the trip from Montana to Nebraska with his estranged son in order to claim a million-dollar Mega Sweepsteaks Marketing prize. Stars Bruce Dern, Will Forte and June Squibb.
* "Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones" R, 1:24. Horror, thriller. Maui Mall Megaplex.
Jesse, a young Californian (Andrew Jacobs), is "marked" for possession by the same malevolent demon who previously claimed Kristi and Katie. Family and friends try to save Jesse from the unrelenting force. And in the end, only one thing is sure: You'll leave theaters thoroughly freaked out.
* "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" PG-13, 2:41. Adventure, drama, fantasy. Maui Mall Megaplex.
The dwarves, along with Bilbo Baggins and Gandalf the Grey, continue their quest to reclaim Erebor, their homeland, from Smaug. Bilbo Baggins is in possession of a mysterious and magical ring. Stars Ian McKellen, Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage.
* "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" PG-13, 2:26. Action and adventure, science fiction and fantasy. Maui Mall Megaplex.
This middle chapter of "The Hunger Games" franchise doesn't have a dull moment: Bigger, better, broodier action sequences keep the story a success for many critics. Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) and Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson) return home after winning the 74th annual Hunger Games, only to have to turn around and leave family and friends for the Victor's Tour of the districts. Sensing a rebellion is brewing, Katniss moves from survivor to leader. Meanwhile, the districts prepare for the 75th games, a competition that could change Panem forever.
* "The Legend of Hercules" PG-13, 1:39. Action, adventure. Maui Mall Megaplex.
The origin story of the mythical Greek hero. Betrayed by his stepfather, the King, and exiled and sold into slavery because of a forbidden love, Hercules must use his formidable powers to fight his way back to his rightful kingdom. Starring Kellan Lutz, Gaia Weiss and Scott Adkins.
* "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" PG, 1:54. Adventure, comedy, drama. Kaahumanu 6 and ends tonight at Lahaina Wharf Cinemas.
A day-dreamer escapes his anonymous life by disappearing into a world of fantasies filled with heroism, romance and action. Starring Ben Stiller, Kristen Wing and Adam Scott.
* "The Wolf of Wall Street" R, 3:00. Biography, comedy, crime. Maui Mall Megaplex.
Based on the true story of Jordan Belfort: from his rise to a wealthy stockbroker living the high life to his fall involving crime, corruption and the federal government. Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, P.J. Byrne and Jon Favreau.
* "Saving Mr. Banks" PG-13, 2:05. Biography, comedy, drama. Kaahumanu 6.
Author P. L. Travers reflects on her difficult childhood while meeting with filmmaker Walt Disney during production for the adaptation of her novel, "Mary Poppins." Starring Emma Thompson, Tom Hanks and Annie Rose Buckley.
* "Tyler Perry's: A Madea Christmas" PG-13, 1:45. Comedy, drama. Maui Mall Megaplex.
Madea dispenses her unique form of holiday spirit on a rural town when she's coaxed into helping a friend pay her daughter a surprise visit in the country for Christmas. Starring Tyler Perry, Chad Michael Murray and Tika Sumpter.
* "Walking with Dinosaurs" 3-D, PG, 1:27. Animation, action, family. Maui Mall Megaplex.
See and feel what it was like when dinosaurs ruled the Earth in a story where an underdog dino triumphs to become a hero for the ages. Starring voices of Charlie Rowe, Karl Urban and Angourie Rice.
* "47 Ronin" 3-D, PG-13, 1:59. Action, adventure, fantasy. Maui Mall Megaplex.
A band of samurai sets out to avenge the death and dishonor of its master at the hands of a ruthless shogun. Starring Keanu Reeves, Hiroyuki Sanada and Ko Shibasaki.
* Movie listings are subject to last-minute changes. For updates, visit www.fandango.com.