* Personal: Age 17; son of Traci and Charles Bean of Wailuku; enjoys hanging out with friends, paddling and biology.
* At School: National Honor Society, Pono Club, honor roll (grades 9-12), Paddling Team captain.
* Off Campus: Annual Turkey Trot for the Hungry, Protect Ka'aholawe 'Ohana volunteer, Hawaiian Canoe Club Kamali'i staff member, Hawaiian Canoe Club paddler.
* Beyond High School: Goal is to attend Yale University and pursue a degree in biology. Wants to return to Maui to work in the medical field.
* What do you think is the biggest problem facing youth today?
"The biggest problem facing youth today is obesity. Everywhere one goes there are advertisements for fast food, most of which do not give any information as to how deadly fast food can be. In the same way, technology's grip is tightening around youth today. In a world where new technology captivates the masses, it is becoming increasingly easier for it to consume the children of today. Unhealthy eating habits coupled with lack of physical activity, leading to obesity, are the biggest challenges the youth of today's society face. "
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.