Makawao Public Library will celebrate its 45th anniversary with free programs and events on Saturday. There will also be a free pre-anniversary play on Thursday.
The Saturday schedule of events includes:
* 9:30 a.m. - Hawaiian blessing by Kalei Johnson.
Robyn Kneubuhl (from left) and Ginger Johnson are the Hula Honeys.
* 10 a.m.-noon - magic and face painting with Cirque Jolie.
* noon - light refreshments and anniversary cake.
* noon-1 p.m. - performance by King Kekaulike High School Ukulele Group, directed by Casey Nagata.
* 1:30 p.m.-2 p.m. - Makawao History Presentation by Maui author and historian Gail Ainsworth.
* 2:30 p.m.-3:30 p.m. - performance by Hula Honeys. The Na Hoku Hano Hano award-winning duo of Ginger Johnson and Robyn Kneubuhl will play a blend of vintage hapa-haole songs and jazz classics.
The Maui Friends of the Library is sponsoring this special anniversary celebration. Events are subject to change.
At 10 a.m. Thursday, the library will host "The Emperor and the Nightingale," a free play based on the Hans Christian Anderson classic and written by Page Hearn. This program to be presented by the Maui Academy of Performing Arts will feature a performance by actors Jesse Fisher and Marsi Smith, with puppets, costumes, masks, live action and audience participation. The Maui Friends of the Library is sponsoring this program, which is suitable for ages 5 and older. All children must be accompanied by a parent or caregiver.
For more information, call the library at 573-8785.