Vehicle dealers report 17.6% rise in registrations
New vehicle registrations rose 17.6 percent on Maui to 5,197 in 2013, according to figures released in the Hawaii Automobile Dealers Association's Hawaii Auto Outlook.
Maui's light truck market share went up 1.1 percentage points to 56.3 percent, and the island's "Detroit Three" (GM, Ford and Chrysler) market share grew 1.5 percentage points to 21.4 percent, the association reported.
Maui's market share for the top 10 selling brands in the state were: Toyota, 28.1 percent; Nissan, 14.7 percent; Ford, 14 percent; Honda, 13.4 percent; Chevrolet, 3.7 percent; Hyundai, 2.7 percent; Mazda, 2.3 percent; BMW, 2.3 percent; Kia, 2.2 percent; and Lexus, 1.8 percent.
Statewide, vehicle registrations for new retail cars and light trucks were up 14.7 percent to 48,766.
The association cited trends such as low interest rates, "strong affordability" of vehicles, an improving economy and "pent-up demand" as contributing to forecasted 5.6 percent increase in statewide sales to 51,500 vehicles this year.
Sales of hybrid and electric vehicles have climbed steadily since 2011, when 1,637 such vehicles were registered. In 2012, there were 2,744 hybrid and electric vehicles, and last year the number rose by 581 vehicles to 3,325.
Road construction planned on Maui in coming week
The state Department of Transportation has announced that work on Maui County roads this week is scheduled in the following areas:
* There will be lane closures in both directions of Waiehu Beach Road between Makaala Drive and Eha Street 24 hours a day today through Friday for road-widening work.
* Lane detours will occur in both directions of Haleakala Highway between Kula Highway and Pulehuiki Road from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. today through Friday for pavement resurfacing. No lanes will be closed but traffic will be routed around the work zone.
* There will be lane closures in both directions of Honoapiilani Highway between Kuihelani Highway and Kapoli Street from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday for road repairs.
* A northbound lane of Kuihelani Highway between Honoapiilani Highway and Puunene Avenue will be closed from 8:20 a.m to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday for road repairs.
Summer Fun Guide's information due April 2
The Maui News will be publishing a Summer Fun Guide of activities for children and teens on April 13.
The deadline to submit information is noon April 2.
Submit the following:
* Name of program and for what ages.
* Sponsoring organization or business.
* Program times and dates.
* Location of the program.
* Description of program.
* Cost of the program.
* Contact information.
Information may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, faxed to 242-9087 or mailed to Summer Fun Guide, The Maui News, 100 Mahalani St., Wailuku 96793.
Photos may be submitted for use on a space-available basis. Shots of people doing things are preferable; group shots are unlikely to be used. Photos may be emailed in digital tif, jpg or eps formats with a minimum resolution of 300 pixels per inch. Individuals in photos must by identified by first and last name.