* Personal: Age 18, daughter of Elene and Alex Ballesteros of Pukalani; enjoys running in the park, volunteering, reading, and playing word and number puzzles.
* At School: Associated Students of King Kekaulike Student Body treasurer, Key Club second vice president, National Honor Society president and tutor, Advancement Via Individual Determination tutor, Japanese Club treasurer, Senior Graduation Committee member, Health Occupation Students of America member, Math League and Book Club
* Off Campus: Plays tennis and works part time as a cashier at Fatburger in Pukalani.
* Beyond High School: Plans to major in the business field.
* What would you do to improve education in Hawaii?
"I do not think that there is a nonfunctionality of education in the state of Hawaii. However, students learn valuable information but do not retain it because they are not given any idea on how it is connected to their lives and their future. To improve education in Hawaii, I would focus on the needs not only of students but of teachers as well. I would empower student motivation to succeed by helping teachers bring out the best of every student in different areas-so that teachers can help students reach their highest potential and not take their high-quality education in Hawaii for granted."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.