* Personal: Age 18; daughter of Junior and Elizabeth Gani of Lanai City; enjoys cooking, eating, sleeping, going to the beach, hanging out with friends and family.
* At School: Involved in student government since 7th grade, varsity girls volleyball (4 years), varsity girls basketball (3 years), varsity girls tennis (1 year), Leo Club secretary, honor roll, student athletic trainer helper.
* Off Campus: Sacred Hearts Church youth ministry group, Tri-Lanai volunteer, trick or treat for UNICEF every Halloween since 6th grade, beach and town cleanups, school book fair volunteer, assist middle school girls basketball team, help school's athletic center with CPR classes, scoreboard operator at high school softball and baseball games, volunteered to paint warning and hazard lines at school.
Sheila Marie Gani
* Beyond High School: Wants to go to college and study either athletic training or physical therapy. Plans to attend Kapiolani Community College and transfer to a university after 2 years.
* Who is your personal hero and why?
"My personal heroes are my parents. They are my heroes because they are always there for me. They push me to do good in school. They inspire me to do bigger and better things. They are understanding. When I have a problem they always know how to fix it. They raised me to be the strong, talented, open-minded young woman I am today. That's why I love them. And that's why they are my heroes. "
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.