Strong winds slated to last until tonight
The National Weather Service has extended a wind advisory for Lanai and Kahoolawe until 6 p.m. today.
A wind advisory means that sustained winds of at least 30 mph or gusts of at least 50 mph are expected. Northeast winds of 20 to 35 mph with localized gusts over 45 mph are forecast.
Winds this strong can bring down tree branches and make driving difficult, especially for high-profile vehicles, according to an announcement from the weather service.
Maui County Civil Defense is monitoring the situation.
NOAA weather information can be heard at (866) 944-5025. For more information, go to www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl.
Pre-recorded advisories and notifications are available 24 hours a day on the Maui County Automated Information System at 986-1200.
Pukalani meeting has been canceled
The Pukalani Community Association meeting scheduled for Tuesday has been canceled.
Robb Finberg's discussion on the proposed Aloha Heritage Center in Kulamalu will occur at the association's May 20 meeting.
Maui Brewing slated to host Beer School
Maui Brewing Co. will host a one-day Beer School session about lagers at its Kahana brewpub on Thursday.
Industry professionals will discuss the history of lagers, the lagering process, the difference between ale and lagers, and different parts of the world where the frothy beverage is perfected.
The event begins at 11:30 a.m. Cost is $15 per person, which includes beer tasting and light food pairings.
To sign up for the session, call 669-3474. The Maui Brewing Co. Brewpub is located at the Kahana Gateway Plaza, 4405 Honoapiilani Highway.
Roadwork in county set to disrupt traffic
The state Department of Transportation has announced that work on Maui County roads this week is scheduled in the following areas:
* Lane detours will occur in both directions of Haleakala Highway between Kula Highway and Pulehuiki Road from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. today through Thursday for pavement resurfacing.
* There will be lane closures in both directions of Hana Highway between Baldwin Avenue and Puna Road from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. today through Thursday for utility work.
* Lane closures will occur in both directions of Honoapiilani Highway between Kahana Nui Road and Kaanapali Parkway from 8 p.m to 5:30 a.m. today through Thursday for road repairs.
* There will be lane closures in both directions of Honoapiilani Highway between Kuihelani Highway Highway and Kapoli Street from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. today through Thursday for road repairs.
* One lane will be closed in the northbound direction of Kuihelani Highway between Honoapiilani Highway and Puunene Avenue from 8 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. today through Thursday for road repairs.