* Personal: Age 17; son of Juli and Michael Umetsu of Kula; enjoys violin and swimming.
* At School: Student Council treasurer, Art with Heart Club co-president, Men's Varsity Swimming Team captain, National Merit Scholarship finalist, headmaster's list, Cum Laude Society, Pacific and Asian Affairs Council Club co-president.
* Off Campus: Boy Scouts of America, Maui Dolphins Swim Club captain, violinist with Maui Pops! Orchestra.
* Beyond High School: Plans to enroll at either Occidental College or Washington University in St. Louis, and major in economics. Long-term goals include returning to Hawaii to help improve the economy.
* What do you think is the biggest problem facing youth today?
"In the past, youth have been plagued with a dearth of opportunities, motivation, and determination. However, today's young generation is faced with a different problem. We are instead presented with a plethora of paths, choices, and options that will determine our futures. As one among many seniors faced with the impossible decision of where to spend the next four years, I understand the dilemma associated with such opportunities. But I believe that our ability to succeed is not limited by our environment, but by our own determination. It is up to us to make a choice, pick a path, and make the best from it. "
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.