* Personal: Age 18; son of Bernadette and Bobby Galapon of Kihei, enjoys playing basketball, chess, ukulele, watching movies, and eating at different restaurants.
* At School: Science Bowl, Ocean Bowl, Math League, Key Club, VEX robotics competition, First Robotics Competition, National Honor Society.
* Off Campus: Hale Kau Kau volunteer, tutor, Maui Humane Society volunteer, beach cleanups, Fourth Friday volunteer.
* Beyond High School: Wants to attend the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to work toward a major in physics. In the long term, wants to obtain a bachelor's or higher degree at MIT, and become an engineer.
* What do you think is the biggest problem facing youth today?
"The greatest problem facing youth today is technology's way of stripping teens and adolescents from their social lives. They watch live concerts through cellphone screens, text others in the presence of other friends, and surf the Internet rather than sit and have dinner with the family. The social aspect of our youth is deteriorating, and that needs to stop. Technology is not to blame for this; it's merely a side effect; but we are. Our youth need to make a concerted effort to enjoy the company of others who are real, and not 'socialize' with a blank computer screen."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.