To have your class, workshop or presentation included in this free listing, email its title, instructor, location, dates, start/end times, cost and brief description to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the volume of submissions, items will be listed as close as possible to their start date; if a deadline to enroll is included, the event will be listed on the Sunday before deadline. High-res digital photos, depending on quality, are used if space permits. Submissions are subject to revision and rewriting, inclusion is not guaranteed and publication does not mean programs are endorsed by The Maui News.
* Gardening classes. Anne Gachuhi of the Home Gardening Support Network will be conducting the following gardening classes. To register, contact Anne Gachuhi at 446-2361 or email@example.com.
** "Success in Growing Mangoes and Bananas" will be from 10 a.m. to noon Wednesday at Lumeria Maui, Makawao. This session will cover information on choosing the right variety of mangoes and bananas to plant, site selection, soil amendments, proper planting, fertilization and watering, right way to prune, how to minimize pest and disease problems, and right time to harvest. Cost is $15.
** "Lawn Care Management" will be from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m Thursday through July 3. This is a five-week training program held as part of the University of Hawaii Maui College Continuing Education. These sessions discusses the strategies required to maintain a healthy lawn. To register, call 984-3231.
** "Understanding Fertilizers, Selection and Use" will be from 11:30 a.m. to noon, today at the Kula True Value Nursery. This session will cover understanding the difference between soil amendments, organic fertilizers and conventional fertilizers. Free.
* Hui No'eau Visual Arts Center, Camp Kaluanui: Summer Camp 2014 Monday through Aug. 1, offers a diverse curriculum geared to stretch minds, exercise imaginations, keep the body active, and introduce new idea-generating techniques. Each day includes a balanced variety of activities as campers explore the artist studios and spacious grounds of the historical Kaluanui estate. Register for a full week of fun or for just a single day (daily rates available by phone only). To register, call 572-6560, ext 29.
* Patch class. "Basic Series 8 Providing Quality Care" will be from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday at 1063 Lower Main St., Suite C214, Wailuku. Class will cover an overview of Hawaii's Quality Care program and key elements of providing quality care.
* Kaiser Permanente:
** "The Aging Eye" will be from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Maui Lani Medical Office, 55 Maui Lani Parkway, Wailuku. This class will help you understand the eye and how chronic conditions and diseases of the eye can cause vision impairment. Everyone's vision deteriorates with age but there are ways to lessen its impact. Gain knowledge in the latest advancements. Free. To register, call 270-7308.
** "Health, Safety and Nutrition" will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday at the Maui Lani Medical Office, 55 Maui Lani Parkway, Wailuku. We will discuss health, safety, and nutrition issues encountered as you are raising your infant/toddler and how to handle them. You will learn what sanitation and safety practices are absolutely necessary as well as their nutritional needs and how to introduce them to a variety of foods. Cost is free. To register, call 242-1608 (Early Childhood Resource Center).
** "Common Eye Conditions Affecting Seniors" will be from 10 to 11 a.m. June 9 at the Maui Lani Medical Office, 55 Maui Lani Pkwy, Wailuku. Live video conference. Join a Kaiser Permanente eye doctor as he explains cataracts, glaucoma, and macular degeneration. You'll learn about the causes, treatment and prevention options available to you. Free. To register call 270-7308.
* Writing classes. Beginner-intermediate/advanced writing classes with Jasmyne Boswell, author, teacher and coach will begin Thursday. Join interesting and creative men and women who offer talent, camaraderie and support for the ultimate writing experience. Learn writing skills that will last you a lifetime! This is a six-week session. Cost is $195 plus tax. For more information, call 268-5807.
* AARP workshop, "Simple Steps to Fall Prevention, Better Health and A Home for Life" will be from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday at the Kaunoa Senior Center, Paia. As Hawaii's population ages, many residents want to live in their homes for as long as possible and are looking for information that can help them do so. The event features information on: preventing falls through vision screening, medication review; strength and balance, and home modification; how to modify your home to make it a home for life; technology that can help you stay independent and comfortable at home. This workshop is free and open to the public. To register go to aarp.cvent.com/simplestepsmaui or call toll-free (877)-926-8300.