Farrell says Red Sox will do what’s needed to make room for Victorino

Boston Red Sox manager John Farrell has said the timing of Shane Victorino’s return from the disabled list will not be determined by who the team will have to remove from its 25-man roster.

“Those (discussions) have been ongoing,” Farrell was quoted as saying Sunday on the team’s website. “Those talks aren’t going to initiate when (Victorino is) deemed ready to come back to us. We’ve looked at every available combination of outfielders that are here with us, and ultimately there will be a roster decision made. We’ll get to that in the coming week.”

Victorino, a St. Anthony High School graduate and two-time All-Star, could rejoin the major league team by Wednesday. The 33-year-old has not played for the Red Sox this season because of a strained right hamstring.

When he returns, Boston will likely have to make a move with Jackie Bradley Jr., Daniel Nava or Mike Carp.

Victorino began a rehabilitation assignment with Triple-A Pawtucket on Saturday, going 0-for-3 in six innings in the first game of a doubleheader against Buffalo. Pawtucket was idle on Sunday.

Farrell has said he wants Victorino to play two straight days before being activated by the major league team.

Victorino batted .294 with 15 home runs, 61 RBIs and 21 stolen bases for the Red Sox last year, and won his fourth Gold Glove.

He suffered the hamstring strain during Boston’s final game of spring training.