Price likely to start season on disabled list
FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) — Boston Red Sox left-hander David Price is likely to start the season on the disabled list because of his sore pitching elbow.
Price has not yet appeared in an exhibition game this year.
“I think at this point, yeah, it would be hard to see him ready to go at the start of the season,” Boston manager John Farrell said Tuesday. “We really won’t have any kind of idea until he gets on the mound the first time and right now, I don’t know when that’s going to be.”
Price, the 2012 American League Cy Young Award winner with the Tampa Bay Rays, was 17-9 with a 3.99 ERA and 228 strikeouts last year. He felt discomfort in his elbow after a two-inning simulated game on Feb. 28.
Drs. James Andrews and Neal ElAttrache said Price would not need surgery or an injection but should take anti-inflammatory medication and rest his arm. Price started throwing on Saturday, making 25 tosses into a net, and has thrown each day since.
“We’re at a 60-foot phase right now,” Farrell said. “But we don’t have (a plan in which) there needs to be ‘X’ number of sessions at 60 feet, then we’re going to progress. It was at the doctors’ recommendation, do not put him on a structured throwing program, because it may be either too quick or too slow depending on how he feels. And a lot of what’s driving this on daily throwing schedule is how David feels.”