Probe: Fire that killed officer’s wife and daughter accident

HONOLULU (AP) — The Honolulu Fire Department says a blaze that killed a 33-year-old mother and her 9-month-old daughter last week was caused by leaked propane vapor, the Honolulu Star Advertiser reports. Capt. Scot Seguirant tells the newspaper Sunday that the propane vapor was ignited by an electrical water heater. He says investigators have determined the cause of the fire was accidental. The blaze started about 8:10 a.m. Wednesday. Firefighters found the woman’s body in the garage and the baby in the living room. The Star-Advertiser reports that the victims were identified as Connie Moribe Wharton and her daughter Sophie Warton, the wife and daughter of Honolulu Police Lt. Nathan Wharton. He was not home at the time.