Ahead of the Class
To have your class, workshop or presentation included in this free listing, email its title, instructor, location, dates, start / end times, cost and brief description to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the volume of submissions, items will be listed as close as possible to their start date; if a deadline to enroll is included, the event will be listed on the Saturday before deadline. High-res digital photos, depending on quality, are used if space permits. Submissions are subject to revision and rewriting, inclusion is not guaranteed and publication does not mean programs are endorsed by The Maui News.
• Lua workshop, Oct. 14; for wahine only with Michelle Manu will be from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Monday at Paukukalo Hawaiian Homes Gym, Wailuku. Call Cheri Kualaau, 264-1256.
• Business workshops, Oct. 15; The following County of Maui Mayor’s Office of Economic Development workshops will be held at Maui County Business Resource Center, Maui Mall, Suite B-9. To reserve a seat, call 270-5770. Workshops are free unless otherwise noted:
“Managing your Money Wisely” with Lis Arcienega will be from noon to 1 p.m. Tuesday. This educational presentation provides a general outline of four key financial topics: assessing your income, expenses, savings and investing. You will learn techniques practical tips to help you stay up-to-date and on track with our financial goals.
“Actionable Ideas for Business Owners” with Lis Arcienega will be from noon to 1 p.m. Thursday. In this informative workshop, business owners will be presented with practical ideas and tips for on how to Set Direction, Anticipate Problems, Manage Money and Help Customers Find You.
• Men’s Health & Prostate Cancer workshop, Oct. 15; with Dr. Mark Scholz & Dr. Benjamin Falit will be from 11 a.m. Tuesday at Maui Country Club (Non-members welcome!), 48 Nonohe Pl, Paia. Men’s health tips and advice. Optimizing longevity. Maintaining quality of life. The diagnosis and treatment of prostate cancer. Opportunity for question and answer! Free lunch provided with the opportunity to win a door prize! This workshop is co-sponsored by Pacific Cancer Foundation and Maui Adult Day Care Centers, call 242-7661.
• Thrive & Survive Fall Series workshop, Oct. 16; will be from 9:30 a.m. to noon, Wednesdays through Nov. 6 at the Cameron Center, 95 Mahalani St., Ste. 8, Wailuku. The subjects covered include: Techniques to deal with issues such as frustration, fatigue, pain, isolation, poor sleep and living with uncertainty. Appropriate exercise for regaining and maintaining flexibility, and endurance. Making decisions about treatment and complementary therapies. Communicating effectively with family, friends, and health professionals. Nutrition, setting priorities, and relationships. Friends, family and caregivers are welcome to join. Hosted in partnership with Maui County Office on Aging, ADRC Hawaii and the Pacific Cancer Foundation. Visit www.pacificcancerfoundation.org.
• VA Home Loan Seminar, Oct. 19; with Tony Dias will be from 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 19 at J. Walter Cameron Center, 95 Mahalani St., Wailuku. This seminar is where veterans can learn how to utilize their VA Home Loan benefit to purchase or refinance a home up to $726,525 with no money down and no PMI (private Mortgage Insurance) or have more than one VA Loan at a time. It also addresses how Veterans can re-finance into a VA Home Loan from other loan programs to lower their monthly payments. Cost is free and refreshments and snacks will be served. Space is limited. To register visit www.AlignedMortgage.com or call 436-5791.
• Free one-hour cyber safety presentation, Oct. 19; will be from 2 p.m. Saturday at Kahului Public Library. A cybersecurity expert will share best practices on keeping you and your identity safe on the internet. Topics will include malware protection, using strong passwords, wifi usage, online shopping and banking, scams, safe email habits, phishing, data backup, and social media. Program is suitable for teens, college students, and adults. For information, call 873-3097.
• Akaku Maui Community Media, Oct. 21; “Free Community Television” class with Danny Collins will be from 4 to 6 p.m. Monday, Oct. 21 at 333 Dairy Rd., Suite 104, Kahului. This free orientation to Akaku’s facilities, services, policies and procedures provides the backbone for all video production classes at Akaku. Deadline: Tuesday, Oct. 15. For information, visit akaku.org/classes/ or call 871-5554.