Ahead of the Class
To have your class, workshop or presentation included in this free listing, email its title, instructor, location, dates, start/end times, cost and brief description to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the volume of submissions, items will be listed as close as possible to their start date; if a deadline to enroll is included, the event will be listed on the Saturday before deadline. High-res digital photos, depending on quality, are used if space permits. Submissions are subject to revision and rewriting, inclusion is not guaranteed and publication does not mean programs are endorsed by The Maui News.
• Fruit Fly Management class presented by The University of Hawaii Maui Master Gardener program will be from 10 a.m. to noon, today (Saturday) at UH Maui College campus, Community Services Building (205), Kahului. Learn to identify and prevent fruit-fly damage and what areas and crops different types like best. Bring an empty one- and two-liter plastic bottle and take home both a lured and baited fruit-fly trap. To register, contact the UH CTAHR Cooperative Extension Office, 244-3242 ext. 228 or email@example.com.
• Dental Assisting training program offered through UH Maui College’s Office of Extended Learning & Workforce Development. The 80-hour, noncredit course will be on Fridays and Saturdays at 1 to 4:30 p.m. from February 7 to May 9, and will be preceded by a required orientation in the evenings during the last week of January. As a final requirement for earning a Certificate of Professional Development in Dental Assisting, students will apply their new knowledge and skills during a 100-hour internship or work experience. Individuals who wish to apply must schedule an in-person appointment at UH Maui College with College & Career Specialist Leilani Kepler, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 984-3725. Full tuition sponsorships are available, with preference given to individuals of Hawaiian ancestry to the extent permitted by law. Applicants must be ages 18 and older.
• Strategies to Grow Your Business on Instagram will be at 4 p.m. Sunday. This class will teach you how to use every Instagram tool to increase engagement from your current followers and new ones. Cost is $45. For information, visit amauimompreneur.com/upcoming-classes-events/ or call 757-4739.
• Akaku Maui Community Media is offering classes to be held at 333 Dairy Road, Ste. 205, Kahului. For information, visit akaku.org/classes/ or call 871-5554.
** “Introduction to Akaku and Public Access Media” with Danny Collins will be from 4 to 6 p.m. Monday. Cost is free. This class is a prerequisite for all other TV production classes at Akaku, but may be taken concurrently.
** Two-day iMovie Video Editing class will be from 3 to 7 p.m. Friday and 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 1. This class will cover basic editing techniques, tools, tips and shortcuts. You’ll learn to create your own graphics, titles and credits, animate still photos, and add music, voiceovers or special effects. Cost is $100 adults, $80 APA Members, and $50 youths 12-18.
• Business workshops: The following County of Maui Mayor’s Office of Economic Development workshops will be held at Maui County Business Resource Center, Maui Mall, Suite B-9. To reserve a seat, call 270-5770. Workshops are free unless otherwise noted.
** Actionable Ideas for Business” with Lis Arcienega will be from noon to 1 p.m. Tuesday. Learn about practical ideas and tips that business owners can utilize to set direction, anticipate problems, and manage business finances.
** “QuickBooks Online for Small Business: Hands-On Computer Training for Beginners” with Richard Kehoe, CPA will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Thursday. Learn to set up your company’s QuickBooks Online in a small class setting with personalized tutoring. This class is for new users and will teach you how to record sales, receive payments, prepare invoices, and balance your checkbook. Get customized answers and schedule a follow-up appointment at no cost to discuss YOUR solutions. Sponsored by SCORE. Cost is $45.
• Aquari-OM class will be from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Tuesday at Maui Ocean Center’s Open Ocean exhibit. Yoga among sharks, rays, and hundreds of fish. Space is limited, reservations are required. Ages 5+. Visit mauioceancenter.com/product/aquari-om/.
• Writing for Change class with Nancy Arevalo will be from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Feb. 1 at Heritage Hall in Paia. Learn more and register at storystudiowriters.com.
• Maui Ki-Aikido classes, Feb. 1; will be held at Maui Ki-Aikido’s Shunshinkan Dojo, 194 South Market St., Wailuku.
** ‘Public introductory course in Ki-Aikido’ will be offered on five consecutive Saturdays, starting Feb. 1, from 10:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. The course introduces the basics of ki training, aikido movement, and a few simple techniques. For information, call 357-5172.
** ‘Teen Beginner class’ youth ages 12 through 18 can try out Ki-Aikido for the month of February starting Feb. 4, from 5 to 6 p.m. Course will introduce all aspects of Ki-Aikido practices. To register, call 283-9226.