Names & Faces
• The Ka’anapali Beach Hotel has announced the expansion of its hookipa (hospitality) and marketing teams with the appointment of Patty Villarimo Curimao as Ohana Fun Center manager; Alexander (Alika) Guerrero, director of Pookela; and Kongbay Moua, marketing manager.
Curimao will assist guests in scheduling island and beach activities. She has 36 years in the hospitality industry with 17 of those years at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa.
Guerrero will use his background in Hawaiian studies, history and anthropology and his master’s degree in Hawaiian language and literature to offer insight and appreciation of the Hawaiian culture. He also will be involved in the annual Hula O Na Keiki competition in November and won the contest in 2011.
Moua’s job will be to oversee creative strategies for the hotel to help increase business and brand awareness. The Wisconsin native comes to the resort with experience as an associate marketing manager at The Mark Travel Corp.
• James Pleiss, who has an office in Wailuku and is on the state Board of Chiropractic Examiners, participated in two important meetings at the headquarters of the National Board of Chiropractic Examiners in Greeley, Colo., June 7 to 9.
Pleiss was one of 22 participants in the 2018 Part IV Test Committee. This group of experts in chiropractic practice and licensing in the United States reviewed and selected the patient case scenarios and digital diagnostic imaging interpretation stations for the exams in November and May. The Part IV examination utilizes trained standardized patients and assesses clinical skills in diagnostic imaging, chiropractic techniques and case management and is a practical examination required by all states for licensure as a chiropractor.
He also was part of a group of experts who reviewed and provided input in the preparation of the “2020 Practice Analysis of Chiropractic.” This publication will be based on a nationwide survey of doctors in 2019. The NBCE compiles a Practice Analysis report only once every five years and the responses provide a key connection between the content of the Parts III and IV examinations and the knowledge, skills, abilities and physical demands of a chiropractor in a practice setting.
• Four agents from Wailea Realty Corp. — A Boutique of Windermere Real Estate were among those honored at Hawaii Business Magazine’s 12th annual Top 100 Realtors Awards gala at the Royal Hawaiian Resort Waikiki on June 1.
The four honorees include Realtor-broker Lydia Pedro, Realtor-salesperson Roger Pleski, and Wailea Realty Corp. — A Boutique of Windermere co-owners and Realtor-brokers Brad MacArthur and Tom Tezak.
Every year, Hawaii Business Magazine publishes a list of the state’s Top 100 Realtors and ranks agents based on transactions that closed statewide the previous year.
The Hawaii Business Top 100 Realtors list also ranks the leaders in transactions and vacant-land sales, as well as the top real estate companies. This year, Wailea Realty Corp. — A Boutique of Windermere was recognized as one of Hawaii’s Top 25 Real Estate Companies by Total Sales, and one of the Top 25 Real Estate Companies by Transactions.
Wailea Realty Corp. was founded in 1972 and joined forces with Windermere Real Estate in 2016, which led to the opening of Windermere Maui in Kihei. The company’s headquarters is in the The Shops at Wailea.
• The Maui Wedding Association has elected a new board of directors for the 2018-19 term, including Janet Inda as president. The association chose the seven members at its annual meeting Tuesday.
Inda is the catering and event manager for The King Kamehameha Golf Club & Kahili Golf Course, an association member. Genevieve Ruvald, sales specialist at Hawaiian Style Event Rentals Maui, was elected vice president. Tambara Garrick, Hawaii regional sales manager for Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. and Mai Tai Bar, will continue to serve as board treasurer, while Anita Sweet of Gemini Sailing Charters will serve as secretary. Directors include: Tad Craig of Tad Craig Photography; Tori Takayesu Hamilton, owner of Maui Cakes; and Denise Black, managing partner of Lahaina Loft.
The Maui Wedding Association produces the award-winning magazine “The Maui Wedding Planner” and produces the Maui Wedding Expo. The 2018 wedding expo will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sept. 1 at the King Kamehameha Golf Club. For more information, visit mauiweddingassociation.com.
* Names & Faces is published on the first Monday of the month and welcomes news releases and announcements regarding new hires and employee promotions and awards at businesses in Maui County. Photos of the employee will be accepted as well. To submit material or for more information, contact email@example.com or (808) 242-6343.