Free Christmas tree recycling available across Maui County
The county Department of Environmental Management will be offering free Christmas tree recycling for the first time in nearly a decade.
All decorations must be removed, including tinsel and other materials, before the trees are accepted.
“I want to thank our Department and Environmental Protection and Sustainability Division for coordinating this wonderful service for our people,” Mayor Michael Victorino said. “I’m also very grateful to the Upcountry Rotary Club for joining us in this effort and encourage everyone to support their work in our community.”
Christmas trees will be accepted at the following locations:
• Kihei Recycling Center from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily (accepting trees until Jan. 11).
• Makawao Recycling Center from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Saturday (accepting trees until Jan. 11).
• EKO Compost at the Central Maui Landfill from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily.
• Olowalu Convenience Center from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday to Saturday.
• Hana Landfill from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Tuesday to Saturday.
• Lanai Landfill from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Tuesday to Saturday.
• Pawn’s Tree and Mulch at Naiwa Landfill on Molokai from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Tuesday to Saturday
It is illegal to dump trees at community centers, the Haiku or UH-Maui College recycling centers, or in parking lots. For more recycling information, call the Recycling Hotline at 270-7880.