13 county Volunteer Heroes honored for their work in community
Thirteen Maui County 2020 Volunteer Heroes, who make up the backbone of nonprofit organizations, were recognized by the county Department of Housing and Human Concerns Volunteer Center.
The Volunteer Heroes are:
• Anne Miura of Chilis On Wheels.
• Tracey West of East Maui Animal Refuge.
• Leonard Saki of Habitat for Humanity Maui.
• Jeep Dunning of Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary.
• Peter Kafka of Pacific Cancer Foundation on Maui.
• Yvette Celiz of Malama Maui Nui.
• Erin Enriques of Pacific Primate Sanctuary.
• Valerie Janikowski of Lana’i Kina’ole.
• Martha Mizner of Hui Laulima O Hana.
• Verna Takahashi of Hawaii Animal Rescue Foundation.
• Joan Banaag of Organ Transplant Maui.
• Mike Moran of Kihei Community Association.
• Bettie Ventura of Haku Baldwin Center.
“I congratulate these volunteers who give so generously of their free time to provide vital services to the residents of Maui County,” Mayor Michael Victorino said. “I hope they will inspire everyone to step up and volunteer to make our community a better place for everyone.”
To learn about each Volunteer Hero and view their photos and stories, go to www.handsonmaui.com/2020heroes/.
The Volunteer Center sponsors the annual Volunteer Hero Program, with members of the community nominating volunteers to be recognized. For more information, contact Wendy Stebbins, county Volunteer Center coordinator, by email at wendy.stebbins@ mauicounty.gov.