Datebook/COVID-19 Schedule Changes
The Maui News has compiled a list of countywide cancellations, closures and postponements due to coronavirus. This story is updated daily as information is released.
• Maui Whale Festival 2021, activities runs throughout the month of February. For information, visit MauiWhaleFestival.org.
• Habitat for Humanity Maui ReStore, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday. Contact 242-1140 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Rotary Club of Kahului, noon to 1 p.m. via Zoom meeting. Contact President Della Nakamoto, 264-1213 or email@example.com.
• Rotary Club of Lahaina Sunset, 5:30 p.m. Zoom meeting. Contact Mariko Higashi, firstname.lastname@example.org or 866-8116.
• Friends of Haleakala National Park, annual membership meeting via Zoom; 6 p.m. For information, visit fhnp.org.
• Co-Dependents Anonymous (CoDA), 12-step recovery program for people who want to develop healthy and loving relationships. 5:30-6:30 p.m. via Zoom. Newcomers welcome. Email FridayNightCoda@gmail.com
• How to get a listing: The Datebook is for nonprofit organizations that offer free services. Submit items at least one week before the event. Submissions may be emailed to email@example.com.
n The Kalana O Maui county building in Wailuku has reopened to the public, although the County Council Chamber and council member offices will remain closed. Public access is through the second-floor lobby during normal business hours from 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, except holidays.
n Most county fields and parks reopen. More than 119 inland and beach parks currently are open for exercise and sunbathing, including Kanaha Beach Park. County community centers and gyms remain closed.
n All county pools reopen with the exception of Kokua Pool. Reservations required, limited activities.
n Most county offices still closed until further notice. DMVL open for limited service.
n Hana Highway to Hana and Piilani Highway around the backside of Haleakala through Kaupo open to all traffic.
n Kahekili Highway from Waihee to Kahakuloa open to local traffic only.
• Maui County Immigrant Services Division offices on Maui, Molokai and Lanai suspending walk-in services and inquiries. All services provided by appointment only. In-person contact replaced by telephone appointments and emails for general information, questions or status requests. To schedule an appointment, call 270-7791, Wailuku; (808) 553-5072, Molokai; (808) 565-6679.
• All state parks closed, except for Makena State Park (bathrooms and parking lot closed) and Polipoli Spring State Recreational Area and Palaau State Park on Molokai for day use.
n State Department of Land and Natural Resources division office closures to in-person visits include the divisions of Conservation and Resources Enforcement; Forestry and Wildlife; Land; Parks. The Division of Boating and Recreation offices statewide reopen with social distancing rules.
n State public libraries now have Wiki Visits which allows a limited number of patrons into the library for quick grab-and-go trips to select books and materials and for computer time at the library. For updates on library services, see librarieshawaii.org/library-updates/ and for temporary hours see librarieshawaii.org/visit/branches/all-branch-hours/.
n UH-Maui College will be holding mostly online classes for the fall semester. Temperature checks and masks required for limited in-person classes on campus.
n Haleakala National Park Summit District open daily with limited access to attractions. Reservations for sunrise 3 to 7 a.m. daily accepted. Keonehe’ehe’e (Sliding Sands) Trail and Halemau’u Trail into the crater open for day hikes. Kipahului District is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays. This includes Pipiwai Trail and Kuloa Point Trail.
n Most public schools reopen with online classes.
Nonprofits and other organizations
n Maui Arts & Cultural Center closed with limited activities. Diana Ross concert canceled; Henry Kapono and Paula Fuga, Kapono and Keola Beamer, Jake Shimabukuro, and Daryl Hall and John Oates concerts rescheduled.
• The Nisei Veterans Memorial Center’s Education Center is open by appointment only. Go to www.nvmc.org.
• Lahaina Restoration Foundation Baldwin Home Museum, Wo Hing Museum and Cookhouse, Hale Pa’i Printing Museum closed. Activities and classes also canceled.
n Maui Nui Botanical Gardens in Wailuku has reopened 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday to Saturday.
n Kihei Youth Center offering free afternoon program 1:30 to 5:30 p.m. weekdays, except holidays for youths 8 to 13 years old. Program is full and a waiting list is being taken. Call 879-8698, email firstname.lastname@example.org or go to the website kiheiyouthcenter.info.
n Hana Youth Center has reopened for youths 6 to 18. Operating hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.weekdays.
n Boys & Girls Clubs of Maui holding virtual clubhouse time 2 to 6 p.m. weekdays. For more information, go to www.bgcmaui.org/reserve.
n Pa’ia Youth & Cultural Center and StoneWave Skate Park open for new and returning members but with increasing COVID-19 cases, all are required to attend a mandatory orientation on new safety procedures. Membership and health waiver forms can be found at pyccmaui.org.
• Hawaiian Electric office payment centers temporarily closed. Customers are encouraged to mail payment; use or sign up for online bill payment; use Speedpay, an authorized payment service provider that allows customers to pay by phone or online (convenience fee applies); use Western Union payment locations if payment must be made in person.
• Kaho’olawe Island Reserve Commission Wailuku offices closed. Trolling permits only accepted by mail, 811 Kolu St., Suite 201, Wailuku 96793. Boat stickers and permits will be mailed to applicants.
• Kaiser Permanente Kihei clinic closed. The Maui Lani, Lahaina and Wailuku offices open; Maui Lani clinic open for after-hours care.
n Maui AIDS Foundation office hours now are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday; appointments required for office visits. Client services in-person visits by appointment only 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday and Tuesday. Testing services in-person visits by appointment only 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesdays, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Thursdays and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays.
n Maui Humane Society is open by appointment only from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. every day. Appointments are needed to enter the shelter and view animals for adoption and for spay/neuter surgery, adoptions, animal surrender, found/stray animal pick up/drop off and cremation pick up. Adoptions can continue to be processed virtually or in person and all adoptable animals are listed on the website. Schedule appointments online at www.mauihumanesociety.org or call 877-3680, ext. 3. Animal enforcement is available 24 hours a day.
n Maui Ocean Center open with modified hours of 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily. Tickets must be purchased online at mauioceancenter.com. 192 Maalaea Road, Wailuku. (808) 270-7000.
n Maui Family YMCA reopens with limited services by appointment.
n Makawao History Museum has closed.
n Habitat for Humanity Maui ReStore reopened with modified hours of 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday to Saturday. Limited services will be offered by appointment only. This includes service to Habitat’s partner families and home builds. Email email@example.com or visit www.habitat-maui.org. ReStore donations will be accepted by appointment only and can be scheduled by calling 242-1140.
• Akaku Maui Community Media offices and production facilities closed to public, with staff available by appointment only. This includes Akaku’s administrative offices, production studio, KAKU radio facility, and upstairs media lab. Appointment requests can be made by calling 871-5554, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Maui Mediation Services trainings and mediations postponed until further notice.
• Maui Economic Opportunity operating on three-day staggered work week with offices open normal business hours. Kahi Kamali’i open during regular hours Monday to Thursday and closed noon Fridays to allow for deep cleaning. All Head Start remains closed in conjunction with the DOE. Email email@example.com to discuss your individual needs; the administration office number is 249-2990.
• Binhi at Ani Filipino Community Center in Kahului closed until further notice.
n Heritage Hall meeting facilities (hall and conference rooms) has closed again due to new facility capacity rules. The certified kitchen will remain available for vendors who produce “grab and go” items. For more information, call 243-0065.
n Alexander & Baldwin Sugar Museum open 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday to Friday, last admission at 1 p.m. 3957 Hansen Road, Puunene. Contact Holly Bouland at 808-871-8058, firstname.lastname@example.org or www.sugarmuseum.com.
n Department of Hawaiian Home Lands offices on Maui and Molokai reopen for in-person visits with appointments. Bills may be paid without reservation. Camping permits and facility reservations will not be issued through Oct. 31. The facilities include Ka Hale Pomaika’i (Paukukalo Community Center) on Maui and Mo’omomi Beach Park, Kapuaiwa Grove and Kalaniana’ole Hall on Molokai.
n The Maui Friends of the Library reopens three used bookstores and accepting donations. Puunene, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday to Saturday; Queen Ka’ahumanu Center, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday to Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday; Outlets of Lahaina, noon to 6 p.m. daily.
n Hui No’eau Visual Arts Center gallery, gift shop and main house are open Monday to Saturday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Classes continue as scheduled.
n Hawaii High School Athletic Association and the Maui Interscholastic League have canceled the fall season.
• High school athletics practices have been called off.
• Maui Marathon on Oct. 11 postponed to April 25, 2021.
n Cycle to The Sun, which was postponed to Aug. 22, has now been canceled and will take place June 26, 2021.
n Maui Classic women’s college basektball tournament at Lahainia Civic Center in Lahaina postponed.
n Kahului Swap Meet, Saturdays at Maui Marketplace, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• AARP Foundation TaxAide Sites — Kaunoa Senior Center, West Maui Senior Center, Kahului Union Church and Kihei Community Center — closed.
• Liquor Control certification exam and education sessions canceled until further notice. For more information, call the Department of Liquor Control at 243-7753.
n Deer hunting in the Lanai Game Management Area canceled for 2021. A combined season for mouflon sheep and axis deer planned; details regarding this modified season will be announced.
n Maui Sunday Market reopens 4 to 8 p.m. Sundays at the Kahului Shopping Center.
n Go Green monthly bulky item recycling event returns Aug. 15 by appointment in a new location: the parking lot behind the Lahaina District Court. Go to malammauinui.org/gogreen for an appointment.
n State public library system’s Ukulele Lending Program is available at Hana Public and School Library, Kihei Public Library, Lahaina Public Library, Makawao Public Library and Wailuku Public Library. Contact the library for information about borrowing ukuleles.
n Maui Preparatory Academy Bozich Center for Athletics and Performing Arts grand opening, March 28, rescheduled for Jan. 23.
n Maui Business Brainstomers Masters of Retail Success in Maui, rescheduled to 5:15 p.m. Aug. 19, Kahili Golf Course is canceled. For refunds email email@example.com.
n Imua Family Services annual gala fundraiser, The Chinese Lantern Festival — The Red Ball, April 4, has been postponed until further notice.
n St. Joseph Feast, scheduled for May 1-3 at the Makawao church, is canceled. All scrip and presale hamburger tickets sold for 2020 will be honored in 2021. To claim a refund, mail scrip/hamburger presale tickets to St. Joseph Church, 1294 Makawao Ave., Makawao, 96768 along with the sender’s name and a self-addressed stamped envelope.
n Maui Economic Opportunity’s “Do What is Right” Gala on June 20, rescheduled for 5:30 p.m. March 6, 2021, at the King Kamehameha Golf Club.
n The 2020 Chrysanthemum Festival, put on by the Sons and Daughters of Nisei Veterans, has been canceled. Plans are underway to hold the 2021 festival.
• Costco, 9 to 10 a.m., Monday through Friday. The pharmacy will be open, but the food court will be closed during these hours.
• Foodland, 6 to 7 a.m., Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays.
• Island Grocery Depot, 6:30 to 7:30 a.m., Mondays, Wednesdays.
• Mana Foods, 8 to 9 a.m., Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays.
• Pukalani Superette, 9 to 10 a.m., Wednesdays.
• Safeway, 7 to 9 a.m., Tuesdays, Thursdays.
• Target, 7 to 8 a.m., Tuesdays, Wednesdays.
• Times Supermarket, 5 to 7 a.m. daily.
• Walmart, 6 to 7 a.m., Tuesdays.
• Whole Foods Market, 7 to 8 a.m. daily.
n Notes changes in status.