Results announced for 2016 Na Mele O Maui
The Maui News
Kamehameha Schools Maui high school singers captured the overall honors Tuesday in the Na Mele O Maui Song & Art Competition at the Maui Arts & Cultural Center’s Castle Theater.
Under the direction of Dale Nitta and Kalei Aarona, they sang the competition song “Kawaipunahele” and ” ‘Na Wahi Henoheno” as their song of choice.
Chais Pascua, a senior at Baldwin High School, took the overall art competition prize.
The theme of this year’s song and art contest was “Aloha ‘Ia No Maui” or “For Love of Maui.” Na Mele O Maui was presented by the Ka’anapali Beach Resort.
The winners of the song contest, their place and teachers follow:
• Division 1 (kindergarten-1st grade) — Emmanuel Lutheran, first, Andrea Kaio and Maile Sjostrand; Kahului Elementary, second, Ella Kenolio, Francine Lee and Wendy Shishido.
• Division 2 (grades 2 and 3) — Kahului Elementary, first, Ella Keanolio and Stacey Heinkensin; Waihee Elementary, second, Kaliko Lewis, Taylissa Lehano, Kylee Phillips and Lisa Bediamol.
• Division 3 (grades 4 and 5) — Kamehameha Schools Maui, first, Dane Lum Ho and Clark Tuietle; Pomaikai Elementary, second, Donelle Sakuma and Wileen Ortega.
• Division 4 (grades 6 to 8) — Kamehameha Schools Maui, first, Leimamo Nitta; Kalama Intermediate, second, Wailani Farm.
• Division 5 (grades 9 to 12) — Kamehameha Schools Maui, first, Dale Nitta and Kalei Aarona; Molokai High School, second, Kalei Roberts.
Na Mele’s Language Award was presented to Kalama Intermediate School.
The winners in the art competition, place, school, teacher and cash award follow:
• Division 1 (grades 9 and 10) — William Thompson, first, Kamehameha Schools Maui, Angie Abe, $100; Kanoa Hokoana, second, Kamehameha, Abe, $75.
• Division 2 (grades 11 and 12) — Chais Pascua, first, Baldwin High, Janet Sato, $100; Emma Kaimiola, second, Baldwin, Sato, $75; Layce Yamauchi, third, Baldwin, Sato, $50; Kamauliola Kana, fourth, Kamehameha Schools Maui, Abe, $25.
• Division 2 (grades 11 and 12) / Photography — Noah Tomooka, first, Baldwin High, Rosie Aiwohi, $100; Kyra Watanabe second, Baldwin, Aiwohi, $75; Marion Collado, third, Baldwin, Aiwohi, $50.
• Division 2 (grades 11 and 12) / Three Dimension — Marisa McPhee, first, Baldwin, Wade Hondo, $100; Nathaniel Layaoen, second, Baldwin, Hondo, $75; Jaden Texeria, third, Kamehameha Schools Maui, W. Guntzel, $50; Gabrielle Kaina, fourth, Kamehameha, Guntzel, $25.