6,500 state taxpayers may be owed a refund for ’13; deadline to file nears

The Maui News

About 6,500 Hawaii taxpayers who did not file a federal income tax return for 2013 may be eligible for a piece of $6.8 million, the Internal Revenue Service said.

The IRS estimates that half of the potential refunds are more than $793.

Many low- and moderate-income workers may be eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit, which was worth $6,044 for 2013, the IRS said.

“Many of those who did not file in 2013 may also be eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit, which could potentially increase their refund,” said IRS spokesman David Tucker. “EITC is targeted toward those workers with low or moderate incomes.”

Students also may be eligible for the credit.

There is no penalty for filing a late return if due a refund, said IRS Commissioner John Koskinen. However, the window is closing to file the return and to claim the credit.

In cases where a tax return was not filed, the law provides most taxpayers with a three-year window for claiming a refund. If the taxpayer does not file a return within three years, the money goes into the U.S. Treasury, the IRS said.

For 2013 tax returns, the window closes April 18, the IRS said. The law requires taxpayers to properly address, mail and postmark the tax return by that date.

The IRS reminds taxpayers seeking a 2013 refund that their checks may be held if they have not filed tax returns for 2014 and 2015. In addition, the refund will be applied to any amounts still owed to the IRS or a state tax agency and may be used to offset unpaid child support or past due federal debts, such as student loans.

Current and prior-year tax forms and instructions are available on the IRS.gov Forms and Publications page or by calling toll free (800) 829-3676. Taxpayers who are missing Forms W-2, 1098, 1099 or 5498 for the years 2013, 2014 or 2015 should request copies from their employer, bank or other payer.

Taxpayers who are unable to get missing forms from their employer or other payer should go to IRS.gov and use the “Get Transcript Online” tool to obtain a wage and income transcript.

Taxpayers can also file Form 4506-T to request a transcript of their 2013 income.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)