Park improvements cited for increased fees at Haleakala

The Maui News

Entrance fees to Haleakala National Park will be increasing Thursday to cover costs of improvements at the park.

The per-person fee will rise from $10 to $12; the motorcycle fee will go from $15 to $20 and the per-vehicle three-day pass will increase from $20 to $25.

The cost of the Tri-Park Annual Pass will go up from $25 to $30. This pass is considered a local, or kamaaina, pass because it permits unlimited entry for one year to Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park, Pu’uhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park and Haleakala National Park.

After taking public comment in late 2014, the park implemented a phased-in fee schedule increase beginning in June 2015. The National Park Service fee program began in 1997.

The program allows parks to retain 80 percent of money collected. The remaining 20 percent goes into a fund to support parks where fees are not charged. Since 1997, fee revenues have funded over $41.7 million in Haleakala National Park projects.

Ongoing work includes constructing a new exclusion fence in upper Nuu to protect native plants and seabirds ($486,000); restoring the Kuloa Point trail, which runs parallel to Oheo Gulch ($288,000); controlling non-native pests at visitor areas throughout the park ($420,000); developing rotating visitor displays of museum objects ($27,000); and upgrading visitor restrooms at the Summit District ($59,000).


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper?


Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today