Maui County fiscal 2018-19 budget highlights
Proposed changes to rates and fees:
• Increasing the monthly fee for residential refuse collection from $27 to $32 per month.
• Hiking the landfill commercial tipping fee from $90 to $97 per ton.
• A 3 percent increase to sewer fees. (Now, the maximum sewer fee for residents is $66.26 per month. With the increase, it will be $68.48.)
• Increasing the annual motor vehicle registration fee from $17.50 to $20.
Proposed capital improvement projects:
• $81.2 million for the construction of the Wailuku civic center complex.
• $35.4 million for road resurfacing and improvements, including a roundabout at Kamehameha Avenue and Maui Lani Parkway in Kahului.
• $23.5 million for wastewater improvements and expansion to help the county transition from injection wells to recycled water for irrigation.
• $20.1 million for new parks facilities and improvements, including new starter booth and restaurant facility at the Waiehu Municipal Golf Course.