County opens up shelters
Emergency evacuation shelters for those affected by Tropical Storm Olivia have opened at the following Maui County locations:
• Maui High School (pet friendly).
• Kihei Elementary School (pet friendly).
• Kalama Intermediate School in Pukalani (pet friendly).
• Hana High and Elementary School.
• Molokai High School.
• Lanai High and Elementary School.
• Lahaina Civic Center.
Shelter evacuees must bring their own food, water and blankets. In case of a power outage at a shelter, people also should bring a flashlight or battery-operated lantern.
Smoking and drinking alcohol are not allowed at the evacuation centers or their parking lots.
Pets brought to pet-friendly shelters must be in a pet carrier or cage for safety. Owners also must provide food and water for their pets.
The county urges people to use shelters as a last resort, and if possible, to stay with family or friends outside of hazard areas.